NW Alabama CFI?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I'm looking to get a gift certificate for my uncle's first 'real' hour of flight training and plane rental for Christmas. He's been talking seriously about getting started with flight training for over a year now - ever since my dad took him up in the RV. I would like to get the ball rolling with some time with a good CFI to get him off his stump.

Even though I was born and raised in NW Alabama, I didn't start flying until I moved to Iowa, so I'm not 'in' with the flying crowd down that way. Can anyone recommend a good CFI & plane rental for the area? He lives in Lexington/Rogersville area so Muscle Shoals or Courtland or even Lawrenceburg or Pulaski, TN would be feasible.

If all else fails, I'll just call the FBO at MSL where we fly to when visiting and get a blank certificate from them, but I know there are such things as 'good' CFI's and 'just' CFI's and I would like a 'good' CFI for my uncle.

Any tips from the aviation community in the area?

Chris, I spoke with an old business acquaintance of mine who is on the airport authority at MSL. He is too far removed from the day to day activities to make a recommendation. Good luck to you and your uncle!

Chris, I spoke with an old business acquaintance of mine who is on the airport authority at MSL. He is too far removed from the day to day activities to make a recommendation. Good luck to you and your uncle!

Thanks for checking. It's sad that I grew up there and don't know anybody in the aviation world around there. I'm not even 100% sure that MSL does any flight training at all. Oh well, I've got a couple of weeks to get something figured out.

Chris, there's a Yak owner on the field at MSL that I believe is a CFI. I can't find his contact info, though. :(

I rent a plane out of KMSL and they have four or five CFI's there. I think only one if them is "full time", the rest usually teach on weekends or after their day jobs. The fbo there, Shoals Flight Center can give you a list of names and phone numbers if you like. Their number is (256)381-2869. They have a 2000 172SP which is pretty nicely equipped with a brand new engine...it goes for 115/hr. wet, and the have an older Cherokee 140 that goes for 80 or 85/hr. wet, I havent flown it in a while so I cant remember exactly what I paid for it! If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I rent a plane out of KMSL and they have four or five CFI's there. I think only one if them is "full time", the rest usually teach on weekends or after their day jobs. The fbo there, Shoals Flight Center can give you a list of names and phone numbers if you like. Their number is (256)381-2869. They have a 2000 172SP which is pretty nicely equipped with a brand new engine...it goes for 115/hr. wet, and the have an older Cherokee 140 that goes for 80 or 85/hr. wet, I havent flown it in a while so I cant remember exactly what I paid for it! If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

GREAT! Thanks for the info! I'll give them a call! I assumed they did flight instruction there, but I'm only there when flying in for holidays so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Dang, why would they need a brand new engine in a 2000 airplane? What's the backstory? Good rates, though!

Dang, why would they need a brand new engine in a 2000 airplane? What's the backstory? Good rates, though!

Because 2000 was 8 years ago, and at 250 hours/year it would be at TBO. I can tell you that the training planes up here get a LOT more than 250 hours/year on them! Heck, our club planes do that.

Because 2000 was 8 years ago, and at 250 hours/year it would be at TBO. I can tell you that the training planes up here get a LOT more than 250 hours/year on them! Heck, our club planes do that.
8 years ago! Eeek! I'm getting old. That'll teach me to actually do some math!

Back