Number of WAAS radios required for lpv approach

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
A friend told me that two WAAS-enabled GPS radios are required to shoot an approach that requires WAAS.

Is this true?

but the one TSO 145 device must be configured correctly to allow the LPV

(don't ask me how I know this)

Okay, are two required for any GPS approach?

That's horse rubbish.... One waas enabled GPS for LPVs is all that is required. And GPS are receivers, not transmitters.

For RNP-4, RNP-10, and MNPS operations, dual WAAS systems are required if they are used for sole source of navigation. Subpart F--Large and Turbine-Powered Multiengine Airplanes and Fractional Ownership Program Aircraft, 91.511 has a similar requirement for independent dual navigation systems for over water flights. This does not apply to piston GA aircraft flown in the US.

So many corporate jets will have to comply by having two WAAS GPS systems installed. C152 thru C421, not so much.

If you get the LPV annunciator you're good to go right? ;)

Here's where the requirement came from:

Duncan Aviation

If I install WAAS-capable equipment, am I ready to fly LPV approaches?

Questions that we’re often asked are if I install WAAS-capable equipment, am I ready to fly LPV approaches? The answer is no. WAAS receivers cannot be installed under a straight field approval. There’s a lot more to the field approval process. Once it’s installed in the aircraft, the installing agency needs to make sure that all equipment in the airplane is properly functioning. That means the autopilot, the scaling, everything that becomes a part of this equation needs to be checked, so it’s a lot more stringent than a straight field approval. Most WAAS receivers are installed under an STC.
WAAS-capable avionics do not automatically mean that you can fly to an LPV minimum. To accomplish the LPV minimums, you need dual WAAS receivers. They must be certified under TSO 145/146.

Years ago pilots were already shooting (legally) LPV approaches with (now obsolete) single GNS 480 unit mounted in the panel and typically paired with some multifunction display, piston engine type airplanes.

Here's where the requirement came from:

Duncan Aviation

If I install WAAS-capable equipment, am I ready to fly LPV approaches?

Questions that we’re often asked are if I install WAAS-capable equipment, am I ready to fly LPV approaches? The answer is no. WAAS receivers cannot be installed under a straight field approval. There’s a lot more to the field approval process. Once it’s installed in the aircraft, the installing agency needs to make sure that all equipment in the airplane is properly functioning. That means the autopilot, the scaling, everything that becomes a part of this equation needs to be checked, so it’s a lot more stringent than a straight field approval. Most WAAS receivers are installed under an STC.
WAAS-capable avionics do not automatically mean that you can fly to an LPV minimum. To accomplish the LPV minimums, you need dual WAAS receivers. They must be certified under TSO 145/146.

They are referring to transport category aircraft certified under part 25, not the GA airplanes certified under part 23 or CAR 3, as is the case for most GA aircraft.

When I went back through and read it again, I caught the Part 25 statement.

Years ago pilots were already shooting (legally) LPV approaches with (now obsolete) single GNS 480 unit mounted in the panel and typically paired with some multifunction display, piston engine type airplanes.
??? :confused:

They're no longer sold, but they're still supported, at least for a little while longer. Garmin just came out with a software upgrade for the unit (announced as last), so I think it's a little premature to say they're obsolete.

And, yes, most of us who fly the 480 have some kind of MFD as an additional aid to situational awareness, but it's perfectly legal to fly without one. I anticipate I'll probably be without one for a while since my GMX-200 is acting up and will probably have to be sent in for repairs.

It's a shame actually I think the 480 is superior to the 430. Good example of eliminating the competition by buying them.

How+About+No.jpg

Back