Number of people

dweyant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
This is likely a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Is it legal to take five passengers in a four person plane?

I.e. three adults, and two small children (i.e. about 40 pounds each).

Thanks,

-Dan

This is likely a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Is it legal to take five passengers in a four person plane?

I.e. three adults, and two small children (i.e. about 40 pounds each).

Thanks,

-Dan
What airplane? What are the W&B limitations?

Two criteria (that I remember)...seat belts and the TCDS.

I believe it's legal, but stupid. A seat belt won't be effective with two loading points.

There are some "four" person aircraft with an optional child seat in the rear. 172s had this as an option, in the cargo area, with a seat belt. I've never seen one of these. I have seen it in a 182Q.

I think the 150 has that optional child seat in the back as well...which seems a little ridiculous.

Yes as long as you meet the weight and balance requirements of course, but I'm sure you knew that. They need to have there own seat belt.
There was an interpretation from the FAA 1990-14 that said:

As long as approved safety belts are carried aboard the aircraft for all occupants, and the structural strength requirements for the seats are not exceeded, the seating of two persons whose combined weights does not exceed 170 pounds under one safety belt where the belt can be properly secured around both persons would not be a violation of the regulations for an operation under Part 91.

I am sure there will be those who say thats not safe and I cannot say it is, but just trying to say that it is possible.

91.107 Use of safety belts, shoulder harnesses, and child restraint systems.

Cessna Cardinal. Well within W&B limitations, both kids could fit in one seatbelt.
If the seatbelt isn't designed for holding two people (like the ones in the bench seats in the back of older planes from the 40's or so where you have a single belt going all the way across), it is probably not legal (see that "properly secured" line in the legal interpretation cited above) and most certainly not safe. With two kids under one seat belt, there are likely to be serious injuries if the aircraft comes to a really sudden stop, especially with any side loading.

And that doesn't even begin to address the other issues arising from strapping kids of that age to each other. Even the PILOT ISO switch ain't gonna save you from that.

Back