Nukes not covered by insurance...

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
What gives?

I got my Non-Owner policy the other day and it had a very specific restriction stating roughly, any flight ops related to nuclear/radioactive materials would not be covered.

So usually, policies are built upon past experiences, so one could presume that some cowboy tried to drop a nuke from a 172?

What gives?

I got my Non-Owner policy the other day and it had a very specific restriction stating roughly, any flight ops related to nuclear/radioactive materials would not be covered.

So usually, policies are built upon past experiences, so one could presume that some cowboy tried to drop a nuke from a 172?

Medical transport?

More likely the actuaries didn't want to spend the time required and/or didn't have enough data to calculate the risk.

Think about it. You crash with medical cancer radionuclear supplies aboard, and the insurance company is on the hook for a massive hazmat cleanup bill.

Think about it. You crash with medical cancer radionuclear supplies aboard, and the insurance company is on the hook for a massive hazmat cleanup bill.

No, they're only on the hook for the limits of the liability policy.

Not so sure about that. In a hazmat/toxic cleanup covered by CFR 40, they could be named as a PRP along with the owner.

Probably also exempt if you are the victim of an act of terrorism, start a riot, get hit by a meteor, and various other items that the company has decided they don't know how to hedge their risk for.

Exactly how radioactive must the material be? Almost all materials are radioactive, at least a little.

Oh HELL NO! :rofl: Not even close, and when deep pockets are looked at, insurance companies are the first place they go. The insurance company ends up on the hook for what the court orders. That's why they specify things in the contract, and even then they get screwed sometimes.

None of the guesses are close. The exclusion of coverage for nuclear related events ("nuclear incidents") comes from Sec. 171 of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 ( the "Price-Anderson Act") and several international treaties. Liability to the public for these events is covered under this Act, and the federal government is the ultimate source of funds for an event occurring within the territory of the United States. There are several layers of insurance that also provide coverage. Fact is, nuclear liability coverage is nearly impossible to get outside the nuclear industry including nuclear medicine programs.

Back