Nuclear Stress Test

U

Unregistered

I just got back from the Doctor and they are scheduling me for a nuclear stress test due to some mild chest pains, shortness of breath and family history. Could just taking this test affect my medical/ flying? I have a recently renewed 5yr 3rd class medical. I know that If I end up with a stent I'll have to stop flying and go through the process but if it comes back clean could it still create a problem? Do the results need to be reported to my AME/FAA?

It's been said here many times, but I'll repeat it. Take care of your health - mild chest pains and shortness of breath combined with family history could shorten much more than your flying career.

Beyond that, the visit will need to be reported and thus any adverse diagnosis. Some diagnosis might be grounding, some not. First figure out if there is a problem, if yes you'll be glad to address it early. If no, then there will be a path forward.

If you end up with the diagnosis of coronary disease, you are to stand down, and probably should ask about the particulars here or via PMs. Some will be recertifiable quickly, some that require an intervention, require a 6 month minimum stand-down.

Some I will advise to not reapply. But that requires DETAILED information. See the website in the sigline for HOW detailed. "VERY VERY" pretty much applies.

Rule #1. Take care of health. Take care of the FAA later.

Bruce, if the result comes back "Clear" or "nothing found", does the appropriate worded results/status letter to that effect satisfy the reviewers?

Or is going for the nuke put you on someone's "yellow arc" list?

Yup. You can probably get away with just the report, if negative, but the letter is better.

I had a "routine" treadmill test a few years ago. My GP wanted it for baseline based on family history. I have already outlived my father.

I forgot all about it when I filed my Class II medical with the AME. I had gotten positive indications from the treadmill of no problems. I had filed my "routine annual checkup for prescribed meds" on the form and my treadmill was part of the visit.

The AME had access to my medical records and other labs, being in the same military hospital system. So he asked, what was the treadmill for? Oh, the Doc wanted a baseline based on family history. The AME looked at the results and report, agreed, and issued the Class II. No issues since.

Ok this is my situation. I had a EKG stress test because the insurance company would not allow the nuclear test. The test was read as abnormal. With these results, family history, and the symptoms I was having (chest tightness and shortness of breath.) I ended up in the ER with the end results being a cardio cath. In the doctor's words I was "clean as a whistle."

Knowing that the symptoms I'm experiencing are not cardio related, it has been determined to most likely be related to Gastritous that is being treated with Nexeum and stress reduction.

So what do I do now? I currently have a third class medical that will will need to be renewed in four years. Can I continue to fly or do I stop flying contact Dr. Bruce and sort all this out with the FAA at this time?

Dr. Bruce, thank you for all the wisdom and insight that you share on this forumn. Your a huge asset to the aviation community!

Dr. Bruce will give you the particulars, but I can tell you, having had the same situation (false positive treadmill, followed by negative angiogram, in order to get my initial third class) you should be sure to save a copy of the operative report from the cath. Dr. B will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but having demonstrated normal coronary arteries, you should not need to stand down and you would just report it on your next application.

Ok this is my situation. I had a EKG stress test because the insurance company would not allow the nuclear test. The test was read as abnormal. With these results, family history, and the symptoms I was having (chest tightness and shortness of breath.) I ended up in the ER with the end results being a cardio cath. In the doctor's words I was "clean as a whistle."

Knowing that the symptoms I'm experiencing are not cardio related, it has been determined to most likely be related to Gastritous that is being treated with Nexeum and stress reduction.

So what do I do now? I currently have a third class medical that will will need to be renewed in four years. Can I continue to fly or do I stop flying contact Dr. Bruce and sort all this out with the FAA at this time?

Dr. Bruce, thank you for all the wisdom and insight that you share on this forumn. Your a huge asset to the aviation community!
You have no diagnosis of coronary disase, in fact you have prove NO coronary disease. Bring the proof (cath report) to your re-exam in 4 years: "negative cath report, felt to have gastritis."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back