NTSB reports- What were they thinking

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Often I read NTSB reports where pilot error is the conclusion. I'm thinking to myself, "what were they thinking!!!!"

Well, I'll tell ya.

They were distracted. I think this answer can be successfully applied to any situation where pilot error was the culprit.

Can anyone refute this? Cite examples.

JFK Jr. wasn't distracted. He was over his head. The NTSB blamed some incurable disease called "spatial disorientation."

The point is the cause is only "pilot error" when the pilot isn't famous.

I don't think even Cory Lisle got blamed.

VFR into IMC? normally ignorance, self bravado, That's the biggie right? My club plane augured in after midnight, VFR into IMC. This scenario began accumulating its deadly pieces long before the key went into the ignition.

150 mile X-C VFR pilot/VFR plane, called FS, VFR N/R due to low ceilings.

I don't think my friend was distracted, he just thought he was better than his training decided he was. About half way home, he ran out of talent.

Distraction can be one factor. Others are insufficient training (flying into IMC), lack of ability (high crosswinds), poor judgment (flying into icing conditions, running out of fuel, VFR into IMC, etc.)

Distraction may be a factor, but not a primary cause in a lot of accidents.

DISTRACTION
:the act of distracting or the state of being distracted; especially : mental confusion

DISTRACTED
1: mentally confused, troubled, or remote
2: maddened or deranged especially by grief or anxiety

distract
<archaic>:insane, mad

Distracted would be when, say, you flip the plane upside down while fiddling with the GPS.

In over their head and/or outright stupid propbably accounts for more than distracted. People flying into conditions that they don't have the skill and/or equipment for (icing, moderate turbulence or better, difficult runways, etc.). Or there's just things like flying into a thunderstorm.

You can be alert and checking what you're supposed to, but if you don't have the skill or make a really stupid move, don't be surprised when you end up in an NTSB report.

The point is the cause is only "pilot error" when the pilot isn't famous.

I don't think even Cory Lisle got blamed.

Actually, the NTSB was no kinder to Cory Lidle than any other idiot who does stupid things with an airplane. It was most definitely ruled "pilot error"

"The pilots' inadequate planning, judgment, and airmanship in the performance of a 180º turn maneuver inside of a limited turning space."

http://www.ntsb.gov/pressrel/2007/070501.htm

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20061018X01530

JFK Jr. wasn't distracted. He was over his head. The NTSB blamed some incurable disease called "spatial disorientation."

Distraction can be one factor. Others are insufficient training (flying into IMC), lack of ability (high crosswinds), poor judgment (flying into icing conditions, running out of fuel, VFR into IMC, etc.)

Distraction may be a factor, but not a primary cause in a lot of accidents.

I agree with both. I strongly believe that JFK Jr. was in over his head and didn't know it. Sounds from what I've read that the area in which he was flying was technically VFR, but required IFR skills to keep the aircraft straight and level. I've posted before that a similar thing happened to me over lake Michigan. It was only because I heard the engine racing that I realized what was going on and saved the situation. If I had the nice noise canceling headsets worn by JFR Jr. and his passengers, I wouldn't be posting this now.

It is a fact that the human mind can only focus on one thing at a time. Anyone can become distracted.

I do think the majority of accidents are due to poor judgement. Flying into IMC, running out of gas, and buzzing are still responsible for a majority of accidents, or at least were last time I checked.

I doubt anyone is immune. Scott Crossfield, Sparky Imerson and Steve Fossett all died in airplane accidents. But I think if you use good judgement, and stay conservative, your chances of winding up in crushed burning wreckage is considerably reduced. Still, any of us could find ourselves in desperate straights with few good options. It is just the nature of the game.

If I had the nice noise canceling headsets worn by JFR Jr. and his passengers, I wouldn't be posting this now.
Noise canceling headsets won't eliminate the sound of an engine overspeeding - I would submit that you would still have notice it with such a device on your head.

Noise canceling headsets won't eliminate the sound of an engine overspeeding - I would submit that you would still have notice it with such a device on your head.

Correct. I still notice anything my engines do that sounds wrong with my Zulus on.

Correct. I still notice anything my engines do that sounds wrong with my Zulus on.

I think I actually notice MORE wrong with engines than I did before - Without ANR, the big bass rumble of the engine drowns out all the other sounds it makes. With ANR on, you can hear the actual workings of the engine much better. Several times I've heard something when flying with another pilot and said "Do you hear that?" and had them say "What?"

I'm not sure if it's combustion events, valves slamming shut, or what that I hear with the ANR on but it sure isn't just RUMBLERUMBLERUMBLE any more.

ANR doesn't completely kill engine noise, so you'll still hear the pitch change and overspeed just fine.

Back