NTSB Reports: Flight Plan

Subsea

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Subsea
I've been reading a few accident reports and have found an interesting common denominator in their reporting. Most of the reports I read state in the summary paragraph what visibility conditions existed, and if a flight plan was filed.

I review industrial incident and accident reports frequently at work (and investigated a few), and I find it interesting that they would include this information if it is not germane to the cause of the accident. ie. "Plane skids off the runway in an aborted take-off. VMC prevailed and no flight plan was filed." Almost makes it seem like the pilot was on a clandestine drug smuggling mission and he deserved what he got.

I understand that a lack of flight plan is not necessarily damning evidence of negligence, but why include it in most cases? Especially the cases where the plane never left the ground.

In my line of work, I hate irrelevant minutiae in reports. Am I the only one who thinks this way, or is there something more to it?

Must be part of the standard report checklist....

Almost makes it seem like the pilot was on a clandestine drug smuggling mission and he deserved what he got.
Only to the clueless media who must report on every tidbit of information they are given.

It is a standard reporting item. No more, no less.

The flight plan is germane for an IFR flight, even in VMC. A CFIT accident may involve straying from the clearance or from lost comms rules.

So, either you have this factoid all the time (even when it's not relevant), or you have different processes for IFR and VFR flights. The former is simpler and less error prone.

Only to the clueless media who must report on every tidbit of information they are given.

It is a standard reporting item. No more, no less.

For example: The plane crashed on the runway while practicing a maneuver called the purposing maneuver.

The pilots were Wi Too Lo, Sum Ting Wong and Crash Bang Ow....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I suppose it could be relevant in some VFR cases. Perhaps if a search was started solely because of failure to close the flight plan, with no other reason to believe the aircraft was down, for example. Otherwise, it's just a check box on the form.

Rich

I've been reading a few accident reports and have found an interesting common denominator in their reporting. Most of the reports I read state in the summary paragraph what visibility conditions existed, and if a flight plan was filed.

I review industrial incident and accident reports frequently at work (and investigated a few), and I find it interesting that they would include this information if it is not germane to the cause of the accident. ie. "Plane skids off the runway in an aborted take-off. VMC prevailed and no flight plan was filed." Almost makes it seem like the pilot was on a clandestine drug smuggling mission and he deserved what he got.

I understand that a lack of flight plan is not necessarily damning evidence of negligence, but why include it in most cases? Especially the cases where the plane never left the ground.

In my line of work, I hate irrelevant minutiae in reports. Am I the only one who thinks this way, or is there something more to it?

It's one of the boxes on the accident form. Nearly all vfr flights are conducted without a flight plan.

Why not add a box that reads -

No flight plan was filed, nor was one required.

Why not add a box that reads -

No flight plan was filed, nor was one required.

Because the people who write and utilize the reports are intelligent folks who know the difference.

The NTSB should not be modifying its reports to suit the nimrods in the media.

The box is ticked, and then they add it in the summary like it adds weight to the report. I haven't seen a database search that ranks flight plan status (but I'm internet challenged).

While we're at it, I think they should add whether they got a FULL LockMart briefing or not.

Here is my version: :goofy:

At approx 1548 Zulu time pilot spoke with a briefer about a 3.8 NM flight from A to B. When the briefer tried to explain that there was a light out on a '100ft antenna 20 miles east of the intended destination, the pilot stated "Who the hell cares?". The airplane then taxis for fuel, but the pilot leaves the hose in the tank and attempts to taxi off. An explosion ensues and the pilot's genitals suffer 6th degree burns. VFR conditions prevailed ,no flight plan was filed, and a full flight briefing not received.

But I digress:D

Back