NTSB report: Florida crash due to BAD TRANSPONDER!

It's a radio that announces your presence so that an authority can identify you and charge you automatically, when you travel by.

That's today, for collecting tolls from vehicles on roads. And tomorrow, for collecting user fees from planes.

I wish the installation and unit costs for the airplane were was low as the costs for the car.

Well- I don't have a lot of hours! Give me time and I'll forget more often!

Now that the aim suggests you just always leave the transponder on ALT it's considerably easier.

Smart reporter...I asked him-

Do you think it crashed because the transponder had to be repaired or because they did not file a flight plan?

I don't think the transponder had anything to do with it and I am positive that not filing a flight plan wasn't the reason.

I was expecting a more amusing response!

Smart reporter...I asked him-

Do you think it crashed because the transponder had to be repaired or because they did not file a flight plan?

I don't think the transponder had anything to do with it and I am positive that not filing a flight plan wasn't the reason.

I was expecting a more amusing response!

Did you ask him why he even mentioned the transponder if it doesn't even rate irrelevant fluff to the cause of the crash?

At least it doesn't seem anyone has suffered the dreaded Hobbs failure, bane of all renters.

The piece did end with the NTSB report with probable cause should be out in 6 to 8 weeks. I read this more of a report of what the plane was doing, not why it crashed.

I once had a controller at a Class D ask me to squawk some code while I was flying a 1945 Cub. I was soooo tempted to repeat the numbers in a Donald Duck voice... but I resisted.

How had you identified yourself?

How dare a controller respond to a radio call and primary target with "...squawk XXXX..." WTF was he or she thinking? Idiots!

Do you suppose it's possible there were beacon targets as well?

Back