NTSB Accident Site

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
I look thru the NTSB aviation data site on occasion and have noticed more and more accident data for Countries other than the US.

Is there a good reason for this or is the explaination as simple as "our Gubberment needs to collect this data so we're gonna' need more funding for the NTSB..."?
-or-
Are we so berift of people doing stupid pilot tricks within out borders that we must now report on Pedro and Juan knocking down trees in the Amazon rainforest?

Jus' wonderin'

Chris

We can learn from a crash regardless where it happens. If a 747 blew up in mid-air for seemingly no reason, wouldnt it be in our best interests to figure out why? Same goes for smaller airplanes.

In some of these cases, the NTSB has been asked to assist in the investigation. Often this is the result of either the airframe, engine or some avionics being of US origin. Smaller countries will also ask units like the vehicle recorders lab to assist in their investigations.

If it's a US carrier, a "N" registered aircraft, or if the engines or airframe are US built then the NTSB will investigate. On occasion foreign entities will request NTSB assistance in a accident investigation.

The NTSB is a small agency, and they only answer to the President of the US, not Congress or any other agency.

Last edited:
We can learn from a crash regardless where it happens. If a 747 blew up in mid-air for seemingly no reason, wouldnt it be in our best interests to figure out why? Same goes for smaller airplanes.
Maybe we can. Seems to me there are still accidents caused by running out of fuel. Certainly, keeping this history SHOULD teach us lessons. Sometimes, we have to learn firsthand.

Good comments all.
However; seeing as most of the foreign incidents/wrecks end with the "contact "XYZ Uber airplane Directorate in XYZ Country". Not a whole lotta help or facts to be gleaned...

Add to the mix that foreign pilots are trained differently and foreign maintaince standards are different and I still don't see a whole lot of reason to inflate the NTSB pages/data with accidents not of US origin.

Does the NTSB include car crashes from France in it's U.S. stat's?

As an aside; has anyone noticed the amount of crashes in November due to IFR students/non IFR pilots?. I know flight into IMC is a killer but damn...

Chris

Good comments all.
However; seeing as most of the foreign incidents/wrecks end with the "contact "XYZ Uber airplane Directorate in XYZ Country". Not a whole lotta help or facts to be gleaned...

Add to the mix that foreign pilots are trained differently and foreign maintaince standards are different and I still don't see a whole lot of reason to inflate the NTSB pages/data with accidents not of US origin.

For anyone investigating for example a particular US manufactured aircraft type, it is certainly interesting to see the overseas accidents. At times, the accident reports generated overseas are actually more comprehensive than what is available on the NTSB site for regular US small aircraft accidents. Once you know what agency investigated the accident, you can go to their website and often find the report. There is an ICAO format for those reports, usually they provide a version in the local language and an english translation.

Including them on their database costs the NTSB what, 5 man-minutes to punch in the pertinent data and the address of the foreign investigating authority ?

If you really don't want to see the foreign accidents, just select 'United States' for the country selection box.

Back