[NSA]Postal Laws[NSA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When I sort my mail, if it isn't something I want, I trash it.
Ie., unless its a bill, check, letter, 'offer accepted' from Donald Trump, scented flowery envelope from Kylie Minogue, etc addressed to me - out it goes.

I guess there has been the occasional time that I found something addressed to someone else, and just put it in the Out Box to return to the USPS.

Someone mentioned they thought it was illegal to just destroy 1st class mail inadvertently given to the wrong party; anyone know if its true?

I know the moral and correct thing here. I just sometimes like to ponder the legal side a little, as well.

So where would I research postal laws? Local P.O. is clueless.

[NSA] means Not the Slightest bit Aviation related.

When I sort my mail, if it isn't something I want, I trash it.
Ie., unless its a bill, check, letter, 'offer accepted' from Donald Trump, scented flowery envelope from Kylie Minogue, etc addressed to me - out it goes.

I guess there has been the occasional time that I found something addressed to someone else, and just put it in the Out Box to return to the USPS.

Someone mentioned they thought it was illegal to just destroy 1st class mail inadvertently given to the wrong party; anyone know if its true?

I know the moral and correct thing here. I just sometimes like to ponder the legal side a little, as well.

So where would I research postal laws? Local P.O. is clueless.

[NSA] means Not the Slightest bit Aviation related.

Took a bit to find, but here's the official answer from the USPS:

https://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-...9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1&p_sid=ky6_cewi&xssl=1

Long and short of it, it's illegal for you to destroy mail not intended for you. The site describes what to do in each situation.

I put the mail back in my mail box and mark it missdelivered. The postal person sent me a warning that I was defacing mail. So now I wrote on it, 'mis-delivered, please teach mail carriers how to read as I am tired of getting mail for the houses several streets over' I then bring it to the post office in an envelope marked "POSTMASTER PERSONAL". I have been getting a lot less mis-delivered mail since doing that.

I put the mail back in my mail box and mark it missdelivered. The postal person sent me a warning that I was defacing mail. So now I wrote on it, 'mis-delivered, please teach mail carriers how to read as I am tired of getting mail for the houses several streets over' I then bring it to the post office in an envelope marked "POSTMASTER PERSONAL". I have been getting a lot less mis-delivered mail since doing that.

Similar thing happened to me. I was tired of getting mail that was not addressed to me - same address, previous resident.

So I started writing "Not at this address" on the mail. Post man came to my door one day and told me I was defacing mail. I told him, quite literally, to go to hell.

That day forward, I starting putting all junk mail back in there (including the "Have you seen us" ads where I didn't recognize the kids, and all advertisements) with the words "Return to sender. Sue me" on it. I was actually called by the Post Office and told to stop. I explained the situation to them about the "Not at this address" letters, and I was told that the post man was wrong and out of line.

I never did stop writing "Return to Sender, sue me" on all of my junk mail including Post Office mandated ads until I moved, and was also never taken to court.

The Post Office, as I've said before, is as mismanaged as the FAA and most airlines, and therefore, can go to hell.

While that's good, it's no where near as good as what I did....

I got torqued at getting the mail for several neighbors, including Social Security checks for retirees. After several complaints, it wasn't resolved - so I wrote a letter of complaint to the local Congressperson and the Postmaster - and I sent them via Fedex (before USPS had a deal with Fedex).

By 11 AM the next morning I got a call from the Postmaster telling me how embarrassing it was to have a Fedex delivery at his office. I told him that I wanted to make sure it got there because, based on the proven performance of his department I had no assurance that it would be delivered any other way.

So I started writing "Not at this address" on the mail.

That's exactly what I've been doing for as long as I've been getting
mail. About once a month I get something that needs to go a couple
streets over. On a few occasions I've even just dropped it off
at where it's supposed to go. It's not the neighbor's fault the USPS
has an occasional brain fart.

Also when I want to take the time .. when I get junk mail I just
stuff it all back into the post paid envelope they sent and send it
all back to the sender.

RT

Based on this, I just wrote "Moved" on a bunch of mail for the former neighbor. I guess it should have been "Not at this address." I also got a 3rd class paper for the lady who hasn't lived in my old place for 10 years! I'll do the same with that.

You guys with complaints have nothing on Chicago. We still have the worst mail delivery performance in the U.S. It has taken a week for a letter to go 14 blocks:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/291829,CST-NWS-mail11.article

Watch out for creating "loops." Scratch out the bar code. ;)

It may take some 'splainin for those of you not living in Chicago on why citizens would call a city alderman to complain about the US. Postal service. You call the alderman for everything so he can get credit for fixing. I have called the city offices directly for stuff like garbage service and they acted like I'm strange. I once called the alderman's office because the gas company had left a huge pile of mud and dirt blocking the sidewalk on more morning commute. It was gone that day.

I don't know why people mind getting junk mail so much. Its great for starting fires...

Back