NRT frequent fliers...

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
I'm heading off to NRT for a week (well, 8 days) in September. Not enough FFs in the bank to get a free ticket, and the upgradeable coach seats are brutal are freakishly expensive.

So, what airline do you guys like to NRT? I'm departing out of ORD, so AA/UA/JAL/ANA are the options on the table. Part of me wants to go AA just so I can get more miles for a free ticket to Europe next spring, but even still, if there is a better option, I'll take it.

Thoughts? Anyone have two old VIPs they want to sell me? :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

It seems I recall another board member talking about a trip to Narita in the last few months. Ya might try a search for such a post.

That would be me. I'm leaving for NRT on Friday morning at 6:00 via Houston on Continental. At least I'll be getting my SkyMiles.

AA. If you have to fly coach that is the way to go. The 777 seats that they use are very nice compared to other US airlines plus you will get almost 12k of miles for the round trip. JAL is a nice airline but they are really set up for the Japanese in coach so it is quite cramped.

I'd do NRT on AA. Try and snag one of the better (read legroom) seats.

Do you have enough miles for an upgrade on AA? I think you can upgrade from a lower fare on AA if you do a copay.

I haven't been through NRT on anybody other than UA in a long time. Being Premier Executive I have access to the Red Carpet Club, which is a nice place to hang out between flights. 5 hours there last month on my way home from HAN to SEA (via ICN and NRT). If you don't have status, pay for the E+ upgrade. That extra 5 inches of legroom is well worth it.

Andrew, I'd go on United as you know Greg Bockleman is a capt on that Route for United. Since he is ATP he could probably give you your BFR on the way out there.:hairraise:

Andrew, I'd go on United as you know Greg Bockleman is a capt on that Route for United. Since he is ATP he could probably give you your BFR on the way out there.:hairraise:

I bet that would cost a lot more than a full fare in First class...

Cheers,

-Andrew

I think that Flight Review would only be valid if he received a Type Rating along with it. Oh, and is Greg a current CFI? :)

Greg, I'll be flying out of Houston (company wouldn't let me fly Bockelman Airways). Will both the flight there and back come over Alaska?

Safe travels.

Continental does have a direct flight from IAH (Houston) to NRT, so it would be a one-stopper for you if you were to fly them. When I flew to LGW last fall, I found the coach seats and the IFE in the 772 to be great. No matter who you fly with, I'd recommend going to www.seatguru.com to see which seats have the best legroom and power outlets if you're bringing a laptop. That reminds me... if you are brining a laptop, make sure you get an airline seat power adapter... that should make the flight a bit more bearable.

I went with AA a few years back in a 777. I'm on the tall side so I can vouch for the legroom. That and a Tylenol PM...nice ride.

Last edited:
Continental does have a direct flight from IAH (Houston) to NRT, so it would be a one-stopper for you if you were to fly them. When I flew to LGW last fall, I found the coach seats and the IFE in the 772 to be great. No matter who you fly with, I'd recommend going to www.seatguru.com to see which seats have the best legroom and power outlets if you're bringing a laptop. That reminds me... if you are brining a laptop, make sure you get an airline seat power adapter... that should make the flight a bit more bearable.

We're on the direct from IAH to NRT.
I just heard about seatguru yesterday and it's a good thing. They had me one row up from the bulkhead which means the seats may not have reclined as much. Changed that right quick! :yes:

Since the power adapter seats are "preferred" and Delta and CO haven't got their act together yet, I couldn't confirm a "preferred" seat. I'm going to try again at the airport in about 14 hours.

Appreciate the input!

I went with AA a few years back in a 777. I'm on the tall side so I can vouch for the legroom. That and a Tylenol PM...nice ride.

LOL, I find the leg room in a CRJ plentiful. I was the kid on the school bus whose feet never touched the floor :D.
Definately taking a Tylenol PM on the trip.

Last edited:
LOL, I find the leg room in a CJ plentiful. I was the kid on the school bus whose feet never touched the floor :D.
Definately taking a Tylenol PM on the trip.

Oh yeah. It's a must. I fell asleep right after takeoff and woke up on final approach into JFK. Although it was an exhausting 2 weeks of traveling and I was up for 48+ hours beforehand.

We're on the direct from IAH to NRT.
I just heard about seatguru yesterday and it's a good thing. They had me one row up from the bulkhead which means the seats may not have reclined as much. Changed that right quick! :yes:

Since the power adapter seats are "preferred" and Delta and CO haven't got their act together yet, I couldn't confirm a "preferred" seat. I'm going to try again at the airport in about 14 hours.

Appreciate the input!

Oh, I didn't realize those were "preferred"... I have Platinum status on CO, so that isn't an issue for me. I believe they open the preferred seats to the general public 24 hrs in adv. of the flight, so when you check in, try to switch then. If not, then they should be able to get you in one of those seats when you get to the airport. But, you have to have the right adapter for your laptop power supply, or else it's irrelevant.

Well, we made it to NRT and finally to Yokahama. Door to door was an even 24 hours :eek:

I am amazed at all the people walking around town. The one time I was in NYC I was under the impression that was the definition of maximum human density. Wrong!:hairraise:

Will both the flight there and back come over Alaska?

Safe travels.

The flight back almost certianly will NOT go over Alaska. Pretty much completly over the north Pacific. The trip over may or may not go over Alaska. From Chicago we go over Anchorage and down the Alutian Island chain. From IAH, it could be a bit further south.

Have a good trip.

The flight back almost certainly will NOT go over Alaska. Pretty much completely over the north Pacific. The trip over may or may not go over Alaska. From Chicago we go over Anchorage and down the Aleutian Island chain. From IAH, it could be a bit further south.
Because of jet streams?

http://virga.sfsu.edu/crws/jetstream.html

It looks like there would be a significant headwind over western Canada and Alaska where a southern route would be almost exclusively a tailwind.

The flight back almost certianly will NOT go over Alaska. Pretty much completly over the north Pacific. The trip over may or may not go over Alaska. From Chicago we go over Anchorage and down the Alutian Island chain. From IAH, it could be a bit further south.

Have a good trip.

We ended up flying over the way you describe. It will be interesting to compare the return flight. All I know is that the return is 1.5 hours quicker!!!!!

We're having a blast so far and expect it to continue into the weekend.

Safe flights Greg.

Let me know your return flight # and date. There's a big group of airplane spotters in Houston who frequent IAH, and I'll see if I can get them to take some pics for you.

Let me know your return flight # and date. There's a big group of airplane spotters in Houston who frequent IAH, and I'll see if I can get them to take some pics for you.

Our flight number is 006 and we are scheduled to land in IAH at 13:55 local time on Saturday, August 4.

Pix would be cool!

Back