NPRM Cessna refracts... David White what say ye?

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
NPRM Cessna retracts... David White what say ye?

*** The FAA has issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for select Cessna retractable gear models (182, 210, and 303) that was prompted by a report of a cockpit fire that appeared to originate from the area of the landing gear's hydraulic power pack system. The NPRM, issued on Sep. 11, 2012, would affect nearly 3,000 airplanes of U.S. registry and require inspection of the aircraft’s hydraulic power pack wiring for correct installation. To view the NPRM, go to http://go.usa.gov/rtCG. Comments on this proposed Airworthiness Directive (AD) must be received by Oct. 26, 2012.

Last edited:
that was prompted by a report of a cockpit fire that appeared to originate from the area of the landing gear's hydraulic power pack system.

Sounds somewhat familiar. I heard it happened to the world's youngest CP-ASEL

I can't believe they'd issue a whole AD affecting thousands on aircraft on the basis of one fire. The overreaction even for the FAA.

Besides, re-fracs are my fracing business...

(inside joke for 6Y9 attendees)

I can't believe they'd issue a whole AD affecting thousands on aircraft on the basis of one fire. The overreaction even for the FAA.

EMERGENCY SAFETY AD,,,, OMG down the whole fleet.

fire? Smoke? I think I smell a lawyer.

Pure dumb luck is the only thing that kept the 210 I was flying from catching on fire.

But do you know if this was a rash of incidents, or an isolated example? Do we get to name the AD after you? Pretty impressive for a teenager.

But do you know if this was a rash of incidents, or an isolated example? Do we get to name the AD after you? Pretty impressive for a teenager.

Wow so this kid has done the following in his brief aviation career.

1. Commercial Pilot License
2. Faked being an amateur and took a discovery flight while in California
3. Almost died in a Cessna 210 and may have an AD named after him

What's next?

Fighter pilot?
First single manned warp speed aircraft pilot?
Trans-Atlantic flight with Martha King?

What's next?

Fighter pilot?

CFI, I believe.

i though the event referenced in the NPRM was a different one from what David experienced.

What's next?

Fighter pilot?

David is indeed a most impressive young man. I would just hope he could find a more winsome lady companion for that cross-oceanic voyage.

~~~~~Then what caused the fire, I guess I've forgotten.

The hydraulic power pack realized the pressure in the system was dropping, so it kicked on and ran for atleast 10 minutes. There was no fire, if there was the hydraulic mist (it wasn't smoke, i found this out later. Thats why it burned my eyes, nose, and tbroat)in the cockpit would have ignited and I wouldn't be here right now. The mechanics said it actually got hot enough that it could have caused a fire. Why it did not, I do not know.

Although, it would have made a hell of a thread on PoA!

I think the AD is aimed towards a 172RG that a student and an instructor were flying and caught on fire. They both survived, but barely.

The AD is because of an incident in a 172RG but covers 182RG, 210 And 303 but not the 172RG. It's the FAA so go figure. Don

The hydraulic power pack realized the pressure in the system was dropping, so it kicked on and ran for atleast 10 minutes. There was no fire, if there was the hydraulic mist (it wasn't smoke, i found this out later. Thats why it burned my eyes, nose, and tbroat)in the cockpit would have ignited and I wouldn't be here right now. The mechanics said it actually got hot enough that it could have caused a fire. Why it did not, I do not know.

Although, it would have made a hell of a thread on PoA!

It wasn't your time yet.

David is indeed a most impressive young man. I would just hope he could find a more winsome lady companion for that cross-oceanic voyage.

Hey Martha could tell him all kinds of cool stories about her early days. It could lead to a good experience.

Just make sure to remember this when they whine about the sequestration. I'm quite certain by now that large parts of FAA have nothing to do while drawing handsome salaries. The story of the box rule near PDX is a great example of unnecessary meddling, too.

Edit: David says the AD may be for a real fire.

Last edited:
Yeah, this wasn't prompted by my little jaunt. AFAIK there wasn't any involvement since nothing got bent.

What's next?

Fighter pilot?
If you can make it across the pond wih Martha King without blowing your brains out, you're Chuck Yeager in my book..

I thought David's had something to do with a simple rubber / plastic O-Ring (in the end)?

Back