NPR does news segment on small airport security

I tried to listen to it, but after 1/3 the way through I couldn't take it anymore.

This is sooooo frustrating. Perhaps some of our members live in that area and can call the county exeuctive and set him straight. As for NPR what can I say. I rarely think their reporting is accurate. sigh!

AdamZ said:
This is sooooo frustrating. Perhaps some of our members live in that area and can call the county exeuctive and set him straight. As for NPR what can I say. I rarely think their reporting is accurate. sigh!
Now, Adam, it's completely accurate if you subscribe to their preconceived notions.

I really can't stand NPR anyway. The only good that could possibly come of this type of scare reporting -- if any is possible, at all -- is that we might get some additional "security" at our smaller GA airports, such as electronic gates, etc. to help keep out the occasional thief or vandal. It would take highly $ophisticated $ecurity to even attempt to keep out determined terrorists who would likely crack that security.

I thought the NPR piece wasn't all that bad. I mean, you have to expect a story about GA airport security when some drunken jackass steals a plane and flies it around for hours.

For those who didn't make it all the way through, they interviewed an AOPA staffer who made the most important points: 1) that the aircraft in question weighs less than a Honda Civic and is therefore no very useful to terrorists, and 2) that in the history of aviation there has never been a GA plane used in a terrorist attack. The mayor of Danbury was supportive of his airport; only politicians from neighboring towns, who have probably wished the airport ill for years were criticizing it.

They also pointed out that there were only eleven airplanes stolen in the entire US last year.

The reference to "more dangerous helicopters" was a bit over the top, but I think it was a reasonable and balanced story.

Jon
admitted NPR regular listener

4CornerFlyer said:
. . . that the aircraft in question weighs less than a Honda Civic and is therefore no very useful to terrorists . . .

However, there was a comment that a terrorist could load the aircraft with explosives and target buildings. This argument stood unrefuted in the context of this small aircraft and even larger GA aircraft being used, such as corporate jets. Perhaps, AOPA commented on the payload of small aircraft, but it didn't make the story.

Gary Sortor said:
Perhaps, AOPA commented on the payload of small aircraft, but it didn't make the story.
Actually, the comment was that fully loaded, the Cessna weighed more than an empty Honda Civic.

Which is a comparison that may be accurate but does little to counter the notion that it could pack a wallop. I can see people picturing a car-sized bomb, which of course is far from the case.

If someone wants to blow something up bad enough, they're probably going to figure out how. It's crazy how scared people get. Ignorance....

AirBaker said:
If someone wants to blow something up bad enough, they're probably going to figure out how. It's crazy how scared people get. Ignorance....

I and I'm sure everyone else here was thinking similarly. There are a lot easier ways to blow stuff up like truck and car bombs. Why people can't (Or don't want to) put it in perspective is beyond me.

4CornerFlyer said:
1) that the aircraft in question weighs less than a Honda Civic and is therefore no very useful to terrorists,
Don't bet on that one. Load up your C-150 with white talcum powder, disburse it visibly over some public place like the reservoir in Central Park, and the terror created would be mind boggling.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Don't bet on that one. Load up your C-150 with white talcum powder, disburse it visibly over some public place like the reservoir in Central Park, and the terror created would be mind boggling.

-Skip

Why go through all the trouble of getting a plane? Walk, bike, drive up to the reservoir and dump a bag of talcum powder into it. Run, bike, drive around the perimeter dumping talcum powder, wearing a turban and robe.

Anthony said:
Why go through all the trouble of getting a plane?
Why, style points, of course. I thought the question was "can a small plane be an effective terror weapon" not "is there an easier way to do it."

-Skip

4CornerFlyer said:
I thought the NPR piece wasn't all that bad. I mean, you have to expect a story about GA airport security when some drunken jackass steals a plane and flies it around for hours.

For those who didn't make it all the way through, they interviewed an AOPA staffer who made the most important points: 1) that the aircraft in question weighs less than a Honda Civic and is therefore no very useful to terrorists, and 2) that in the history of aviation there has never been a GA plane used in a terrorist attack. The mayor of Danbury was supportive of his airport; only politicians from neighboring towns, who have probably wished the airport ill for years were criticizing it.

They also pointed out that there were only eleven airplanes stolen in the entire US last year.

The reference to "more dangerous helicopters" was a bit over the top, but I think it was a reasonable and balanced story.

Jon
admitted NPR regular listener

True, the neighbors has been against the airport for all the usually reasons for years. Now they too are exploiting the 9/11 angle. I wonder how many trucks or SUV were stolen that night nation wide. Anyone of which could have had 5000 pounds of explosive loaded into them.

Also a big NPR listener. I just thought they could have been more balanced in this one

Skip Miller said:
Why, style points, of course. I thought the question was "can a small plane be an effective terror weapon" not "is there an easier way to do it."

-Skip

Agreed. My point is that anything can be an effective terror weapon, not just a small plane. But your point is valid, a small plane could do it also. My issue with the media is the sole focus on GA as the vehicle and leaving out all the other methods.

Skip Miller said:

-Skip

Anything can be a terror weapon. I have the technical know how to blow your TV screen into your face or your bicycle seat up your butt, and to manufacture the explosives to do it with. It's not a matter of "can something be used as a weapon," it's a matter of whether or not we've got the courage to quit quivering in fear at every new shadow that appears.

Think of the damage done by the McVey bombing years back. He didn't even need to know how to fly a plane, just where to rent a truck.

Besides.... If you're going to blow up a building, why hit the top?

Joe Williams said:
Anything can be a terror weapon. I have the technical know how to blow your TV screen into your face or your bicycle seat up your butt, and to manufacture the explosives to do it with. It's not a matter of "can something be used as a weapon," it's a matter of whether or not we've got the courage to quit quivering in fear at every new shadow that appears.

Point well taken.

Tony

AirBaker said:
Think of the damage done by the McVey bombing years back. He didn't even need to know how to fly a plane, just where to rent a truck.

Besides.... If you're going to blow up a building, why hit the top?

Yes, and you can still rent a u-haul truck and it isn't hard at all. What kind of security do they have?:no:

Bob Bement said:
Yes, and you can still rent a u-haul truck and it isn't hard at all. What kind of security do they have?:no:

Last time I rented a truck, a Penske because I hate U-Haul, they looked at my driver's licence. No background check, no verification that it was a legitmate license, nothing. This wasn't even two years ago. When I picked the truck up, in another state, they didn't do that much.

Gee... I wonder if it's possible to carry enough explosives in a 25 foot moving truck to do some real harm?

Anthony said:
Why people can't (Or don't want to) put it in perspective is beyond me.

We are on the inside of aviation looking out. They are looking at pictures of things they don't understand or have any clue about. TV video has no perspective at 50-200 ft across a ramp.

Remember that to the completely uneducated, and/or media brainwashed, your average CE150 weighs at least 5000 lbs, can carry 2 tons of anything it wants plus full fuel (100 gallons minimum), made of steel, explosive potential of a 767, 50-60ft wingspan, has the climb performance of a lear 23, can fly nonstop halfway across the continent, all at (car slow, airplane fast) 200-400mph.

These people have NEVER seen a GA airplane so they just don't know. I don't think they're stupid, just completely uneducated on the subject.

If you want to put GA in realistic perspective to those people, do what I've done before: Take them to the airport and have them go through the preflight with you then help you hand push that super giant huge CE150 to the pumps on the other side of the ramp. Then go show them how easy it is get it to, much less over, 120mph. It's like turning a search light on in a small dark room. They suddenly completely realize and understand that a CE150 is a TOY and the dreaded CE172 or PA28 isn't much bigger.

Anthony said:
I tried to listen to it, but after 1/3 the way through I couldn't take it anymore.

You should have listened to the rest of the story; it ended with a pretty good case in favor of GA and airport security. That said, the overall balance probably was negative; opening arguments always have more staying power than rebuttals.

I do wonder whether GA in general, and AOPA in particular, is on the right track in how they are dealing with charges of this sort. The bottom line is that "small airports" (all of our favorite places) either are never going to be secure to the extent that some would desire, or they will be ruined and much of what we enjoy will disappear. I wonder whether a smarter tack by AOPA would be to just acknowledge these facts, rather than claiming that GA airports really are secure enough. They probably aren't, and the arguments just don't ring true.

I'm not really proposing this position, just wondering what the best tactic is in dealing with the issue.

Hunter

Last edited:
Handsfield said:
I'm not really proposing this position, just wondering what the best tactic is in dealing with the issue.

Hunter

Do your part to show support for airport security. Keep your facts straight for those times at a cocktail party. You'll have to formulate a logical argument to defend the dark side of GA! :)

And you can still get the ammonium nitrate without too much trouble. Just wear you DeKalb hat and overalls.

Joe Williams said:
I have the technical know how to blow your TV screen into your face or your bicycle seat up your butt, ...
Great, now I have to start checking my bicycle seat!

(although I think some others here might have to check theirs first :rofl:)

-Rich

Joe Williams said:
.......It's not a matter of "can something be used as a weapon," it's a matter of whether or not we've got the courage to quit quivering in fear at every new shadow that appears.

I don't always agree with everything you say, Joe, but with this I agree 100%.

You should have listened to the rest of the story; it ended with a pretty good case in favor of GA and airport security. I'm not really proposing this position, just wondering what the best tactic is in dealing with the issue.
Hunter
The best solution, I believe, is to make Airspace Avoidance a mandatory security topic at every airman's BFR. Education as always is the best choice.

I find it completely incredible that a Type Rated King Air 200 pilot would be flying in the area VFR. C172, yes, BE200, NO.

I have changed my mind about the NPR piece after yesterday afternoon's incident. We are truly on the verge of losing the entire eastern seaboard.

ejensen said:
And you can still get the ammonium nitrate without too much trouble. Just wear you DeKalb hat and overalls.

Naw, there's a couple sacks of it in my garage. Or better yet, there's a 5 gallon bucket next to the back door of the house that is about full. (I've been a bit lazy at getting it back to the garage after the snow melted.)

Oh jeeezzzz.. I have access to both ammonium nitrate AND not one, but TWO of them dangerous small airplanes. And I have guns in the house, too. I might as well just lock myself up! :rofl:

Back