Now the Air Force calls me!

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I get an automated phone early yesterday morning, "This is the Air Force Reserve with an important notification for nnnn nnnnn. If you are nnn press 1, if you can call nnn to the phone press 2, if nnn is not presently at this number press 3, if this is the incorrect number for nnn press 9."

Thank you.

So it called three more times. with a hour or two in between. I pressed 9 three more times. Then I returned the call with a redial. "nnnn Air Force base. Enter the number of the extension." Time passes. It hangs up. I call back. How 'bout "0".

I ask the operator exactly what do I have to do to get the thing to stop calling. I'm pressing 9 each time.

"I didn't call you! They're just testing the system. They're gone for the day. You wont get any more calls (today.)"

I guess it's OK then. Silly me. :dunno:

Everyday for the last month or so, I'd get a call to my home phone from NCO Financial. No message, just notice of a call. I don't owe them nor anyone else on collection matters. But, I've sure gotten the calls for whomever previously had my two phone numbers!

On Saturday morning, I got a call from them to my cell phone. I don't recognize the 800 number so I let it go to voice mail. Later, I listen to an automated message followed by an ID number I cannot understand. Gosh, not even personal service in order to collect debts!

I call back and tell them my number does not belong to the person they want. They will remove my number. Guaranteed, whomever I spoke with was not on CONUS.

This morning, I get another call but no caller ID. I take it because I've been dealing with Charter Communications on issues. Again, it's NCO but still an automated message.

I call back only to be told my number had been removed. I respond, "If it has been removed, how it your system managed to call it five minutes ago?" They simply said my number can't be called if it's not listed. I ask for a supervisor who tells me the same thing. He even says it was removed on Saturday. I'm puzzled. It's removed but still calling me. Oooook! Oh, and again I'd bet neither person was on CONUS.

Not satisfied, I look up their web site. Guess who is listed on the site among the big wigs? Well gee, there's their general counsel! I called selected that name through the directory. A woman answers and I state I'm looking to insure my name and numbers permanently removed from their database. I also stated I chose to call their office directly since they would most likely be the ones to answer a civil suit for harassment.

She says she will get either an attorney or a paralegal for me right away if I can hold. No problem. I'm connected with a lady who then takes my information and verifies my cell number is not listed but has removed my home number. She also gave me her direct line should I receive any more calls.

I wonder if I would get as pleasurable service from their legal department if I actually owed money? :dunno:

Amazing!

MIke,

That's what Call Forwarding is for.

I got a call for some woman the other day from an automated machine. "this is a call for Mary Jones to remind her she has an appointment with Doctor House tomorrow at 2 PM.". Now, I wonder if she ever made her appointment.

Everyday for the last month or so, I'd get a call to my home phone from NCO Financial. No message, just notice of a call. I don't owe them nor anyone else on collection matters. But, I've sure gotten the calls for whomever previously had my two phone numbers!

I wonder if I would get as pleasurable service from their legal department if I actually owed money? :dunno:

Amazing!

That's what I went through with the company that called for the various scum that lived in my house ONE YEAR before I bought it. Like you I had to suffer through 12 calls before I even knew who was calling and what they wanted. In my case not only did I tell them 3 times to stop calling and they didn't, each time they acted rude and short like I was the scumbag AND they failed to remove my number.

What worked was the FCC complaint form.

There are strict FEDERAL laws on what collectors can do, I have those guys dead to rights and I AM going to get them. There was a guy who made $100,000 a year by baiting companies to violate the rules. I don't have to bait.

I also got one ring, no caller ID calls several times a day for 4-5 weeks. I'm convinced these sleezeballs program the dialer to do that.

I've gotten more calls from more collectors since. The others took "remove my number, now!" as the final word.

HFC sent junk mail to my house in Miami 5 YEARS after I sold the house. The mail included one of those bogus checks you can deposit and it becomes an unsecured loan. The guy who lived there somehow managed to get someone to cash the "check" for him. Months go by, and HFC tracks me down and asks me to repay the loan. I'm like, "Dude, I can produce the paperwork that shows I moved out 5 years before you sent the mail. I'm not paying for your incompetence."

It's quite amazing the depths to which some people sink, on both sides of the coin.

There's Postal Regulations that allows unsolicited merchandise you've received to be kept without obligation. I don't suppose that applies to unsolicited negotiable instruments? :)

There's Postal Regulations that allows unsolicited merchandise you've received to be kept without obligation. I don't suppose that applies to unsolicited negotiable instruments? :)
Oh, you can keep them all right. It is negotiating them that is committing a fraud.

And yes, I saw your smilie!

-Skip

I got all 4 branches to stop calling me by asking about their Heroin Dependency programs. No one wanted to touch that one.

Then, later, when I came THIIIIS close to enlisting in the Army, they didn't even care anymore. Win/Win.

thats better than my standard asthma line (which is true!)

I got all 4 branches to stop calling me...

I think this system is to call up a reserve airman, at least when they're not "testing" using my phone number. I shouldda said I was him to see what it said.

My wife got calls 4-5 times a week on her new cell phone a few years ago .... The calls were a mix of live callers and automated messages. The live caller would ask for "Joe." When my wife said "you have the wrong number. Don't call this number again. Remove it from the list." they hung up with no response. The automated system left a number to call back. We didn't find out who it was until I called the number they left.

It was from

GIRLS GONE WILD!!!!!

Boy did I have fun with that one and teased her for weeks!

Boy did I have fun with that one and teased her for weeks!
Well, didn't you tell her to get a job??? :D

When I first got my cell phone number in April 2002, I was contantly getting calls for "Brandon" from an endless number of the sweetest sounding voices. Either that guy died or got married and was hiding. I must have gotten calls from at least 150 different girls over the next six months. There were a few more over the next year. One call came two years later.

Poor Brandon...

Sigh.

Back