Now onto motorcycle navigation.

I am with Bill on this one. My wife and I do at least one multi-day trip on our bikes (R1200GS) each year. She absolutely will not ride on highways and I prefer not to. I often use an online site called Furkot.com to plan a route. I then export it as a GPX to Basecamp to tweak it slightly, then upload it to the BMW Navigator 6's on the bikes. Works great and allows me to pick the best roads to get from point A to point B. The forum at ADVrider.com provides some pretty nice ride reports and associated GPX files which can be downloaded to a motorcycle specific GPS to follow. I will often use these as a basis for a ride and add my own tweaks. I research the heck out of these rides, pouring over google earth to find the most interesting places to see/ride/stop along the way. This has kept my wife's interest in riding high enough that she is willing to do these trips with me.

Navigation? No way man. Just pick a road and go. Know N/E/S/W based on the sun and just make your way in a general direction.

Some of my best rides are the ones that have no plan ...

I am with Bill on this one. My wife and I do at least one multi-day trip on our bikes (R1200GS) each year. She absolutely will not ride on highways and I prefer not to. I often use an online site called Furkot.com to plan a route. I then export it as a GPX to Basecamp to tweak it slightly, then upload it to the BMW Navigator 6's on the bikes. Works great and allows me to pick the best roads to get from point A to point B. The forum at ADVrider.com provides some pretty nice ride reports and associated GPX files which can be downloaded to a motorcycle specific GPS to follow. I will often use these as a basis for a ride and add my own tweaks. I research the heck out of these rides, pouring over google earth to find the most interesting places to see/ride/stop along the way. This has kept my wife's interest in riding high enough that she is willing to do these trips with me.

Exactly! Some of my friends use Furkot, but I myself like Google Mymaps a little better. I output a KML file from mymaps, load it into Basecamp as a direct track. Pick a proper amount of shaping points, then convert the track to a direct route, then convert the direct route to a motorcycling route. I am sure to make a decent number of shaping points alerting points, such that if I somehow get off route, I can navigate to an intermediate point. This also prevents a recalculate from giving you the middle finger and routing you direct destination. I used to hate that until I figured it out.

Oh, and yes, I'm an inmate on ADV, as is @steingar and a few others here.

Back