Now it's American's turn

Amazing, never understand why people do this after making it to the "show". Awful lot to lose or jeopardize. Hopefully he gets some help recovering from this addiction.

I don't get it, if for whatever really bad reason you're still buzzed before the flight just call in sick, getting onboard a plane drunk just doesn't make sense.

Can't help but wonder when it started -- before or after making it to the show? Too much job-life pressure and just couldn't handle it or maybe just a very poor judgment call on that particular day.

I see this in my industry on a regular basis as well. It still baffles me that people will work so hard to get somewhere in their career, only to throw it all down the drain.

Was he actually on the plane?

Article says he failed a breathalyzer test administered by TSA, but the photo taken from a passenger window appears to be on the ramp next to the plane.

this is hitting a bit to close to that Denzel Washington film

Article says he failed a breathalyzer test administered by TSA, but the photo taken from a passenger window appears to be on the ramp next to the plane.
If he shows up for work and is on duty, it's as good (or bad) as being on the airplane.

No reason to show up drunk,just call in sick. If you party to hard by mistake,call in sick.

What kind of jail do they take you to when you violate an FAA regulation?

There have been a couple of similar cases in the past where the TSA agent notices the smell of alcohol and reports it to a supervisor. They then meet the pilot at the aircraft and pull him aside for testing. Probabl what happened here.

I read somewhere that being drunk and lack of sleep is almost the same thing. What are they doing about overworked pilots?

I read somewhere that being drunk and lack of sleep is almost the same thing. What are they doing about overworked pilots?
I think that's an oversimplification. I doubt that lack of sleep lowers inhibitions or affects judgment to the degree that being drunk does.

Back