Now a Second Drone Lost?

I am sure there are ALOT more that go down but the guv won't admit it unless there are witnesses.... Watching TV this morning, CNN channel said the cost of the one sitting in Iran was 135 million EACH..:yikes::yikes::hairraise::eek:

I am sure there are ALOT more that go down but the guv won't admit it unless there are witnesses.... Watching TV this morning, CNN channel said the cost of the one sitting in Iran was 135 million EACH..:yikes::yikes::hairraise::eek:

Personally I think it is worth every penny in that we don't have a pilot being tortured after his aircraft went down.

Personally I think it is worth every penny in that we don't have a pilot being tortured after his aircraft went down.
But if there had been a pilot on board, would this aircraft have gone down? My guess is no.

Ryan

Come on now, Other countries can't shoot down any American aircraft. We are invincible..... Oh wait, Bosnia? Scott O'Grady anyone?

Drones aren't perfect, but they serve a very useful purpose. And there usually is an operator for the thing sitting somewhere.

Come on now, Other countries can't shoot down any American aircraft. We are invincible..... Oh wait, Bosnia? Scott O'Grady anyone?

Drones aren't perfect, but they serve a very useful purpose. And there usually is an operator for the thing sitting somewhere.

I agree... they serve a wonderful purpose but...... A new 737 is 90 million.. This thing is the size of my homebuilt experimental and cost 135 million.... And it didn't fly home when contact was lost,,, and it didn't dive straight into the ground and destroy itself as designed... We taxpayers should ask for a refund.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::):idea:... Jus thinkin..

Ben.

I wonder if that was an exaggeration. The AF site says they are $53.5M which sounds more reasonable.

Unit Cost: $53.5 million (includes four aircraft with sensors) (fiscal 2006 dollars)

http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6405

I think I can count more manned aircraft that went down this year vs UAV. UAVs have glitches just like humans do, just in different ways.

"The U.S. Air Force confirmed that the unarmed MQ-9 drone crash-landed at the Seychelles International Airport Tuesday morning."

Sounds like a landing accident. Bets the UAV was based out of there?

I want eyeballs in the cockpit. Human eyeballs, not Skynet eyeballs.

Doesn't sound that plausible to me. Surely the drone has technology comparable to or greater than modern airliners for navigation. These days, airliners have multiple GPS units as well as inertial navigation systems, and of course a compass. If data sources start to disagree, a flag is raised. It would be pretty tough to hack the compass, and near impossible to hack the inertial navigation. Assuming the drone had these on board (not just 1 or 2 GPS systems), I don't see how its position wasn't questioned early in the deviation.

Back