Novice here

So really, you already understand it? You are just asking if most people carry it?

I carry non-owned insurance, it is a financial/risk decision only... I have no idea what other renters do...

Well I have a little bit better idea of it now. But before this, I thought the owner would be required to carry insurance that would cover both parties. That's why I asked :)

Is non-owned insurance the same as what someone else called renters insurance?

Well I have a little bit better idea of it now. But before this, I thought the owner would be required to carry insurance that would cover both parties. That's why I asked :)

Is non-owned insurance the same as what someone else called renters insurance?

Yes, Non-owned = Renters... There is also CFI/Instruction insurance... Which as you can imagine, has a higher premium for liability...

Owners, covers whatever the owner wants to cover... Which is generally their own interests only (the value of the aircraft and their liability)... If you are flying thier aircraft, their insurance company can always come after you after paying out the claim...

Most owners (as opposed to FBO's), have what is called an Open Pilots clause.. If you are flying a friends plane, make sure at a minimum you meet these criteria.. They can still come after you, but at least they will cover your friends claim if you bend it...

Thanks for all the help everyone! I did choose a school but I had to put off flying for a couple months.

Do you think getting a flight simulator would be beneficial? Which one(s) would you recommend? I don't own a Windows PC right now but I could build one if I need to (people seem to like Microsoft FSX). Anyone know if FlightGear is any good?

Something like this??
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Three-Lever-Throttle-PZ44/dp/B000TCD1UK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1359435506&sr=1-1&keywords=flight+simulator

Properly used, an approved training device can be used to speed up and lessen the cost of the training. Some people will disagree with sim use, but ultimate you have to determine what works for you.

I'd steer clear of a simulator that isn't an approved training device. I would also avoid using a simulator without an instructor present. Problem is, many people focus on instruments when the point of primary training is to focus on visual references. That will cause issues, so hence my recommendation to only use a sim with a CFI present.

I am about a third of the way into my instrument rating, I'll only use a sim with my CFII present because any errors I make will be addressed by my CFII, and I won't be allowed to develop bad habits when learning the approaches, holds, etc.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I did choose a school but I had to put off flying for a couple months.

Do you think getting a flight simulator would be beneficial? Which one(s) would you recommend? I don't own a Windows PC right now but I could build one if I need to (people seem to like Microsoft FSX). Anyone know if FlightGear is any good?

Something like this??
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Three-Lever-Throttle-PZ44/dp/B000TCD1UK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1359435506&sr=1-1&keywords=flight+simulator

I'm not sure I qualify to respond to this because I hold no ratings, but I have the Microsoft FSX and Ive put well over 100 hours on it. I love it for under 20 bucks your introduced to a ton of instruction. The have a lessons section that "virtualy" takes

Sorry I have to continue in a new post as I am responding on a touch screen.

Anyway the lessons part of the FSX "virtually" gives you instruction from PPL thru ATP. I'm currently learning how to make different entries into a holding pattern, which is something that guys like you and I wouldn't even know existed. A great way to learn a lot about what you will be getting into in my opinion. Plus there's a missions section that let you fly all sorts of missions giving a taste of every aspect of civilian aviation.

Do you think getting a flight simulator would be beneficial? Which one(s) would you recommend?

I'm also brand new to aviation. I started this process of overcoming a fear of flying by using a simulator. I started by purchasing Xplane, the CH Products yoke and throttle quadrant and pedals all from Ebay. I use a dual monitor setup for better "visibility".

Flight simulators, in my opinion, are great for "chair flying" and learning procedures, but unless they are of the full motion variety, they have their limits. Two in particular come to mind:

1. They can create a tendency to focus too much on instruments, which is the opposite of what you should do when initially learning how to handle an aircraft in flight. Visual reference outside of the windows is essential to understanding spacial orientation and gaining greater control of the aircraft.

2. Flying only with your hands and feet and not your butt.
The seat of your pants will tell you more about your orientation in the air and that's something you just don't get from a table top simulator. This was my experience in an actual plane and it was so revealing that I decided to fly X plane only occasionally for fun because I don't want to undermine my developing sensitivity.

Procedures and checklists can be learned and practiced on a simulator and it's a lot of fun to me to do turns about a point in an Ercoupe, especially when the "point" is the Sphinx at Giza in Egypt. ;)

Dan,
I saw a question about how the one poster got his license in such a short time. Didn't see a response so I will weigh in. I soloed in 9 hours and took my check ride with 45 hours total time. The main thing that helped me was consistency. I flew at least three times a week more if I could. the total calendar time of my training was about 6 weeks so I didn't have to relearn a lot as i progressed through my training.
When I wasn't flying I was hitting the books and studying not only to pass the test but to adequately gain the knowledge I felt I needed to be a competent pilot.

I was fortunate in that in 1986 I was able to get my training completed for less than $2000 and basically did it with my tax refund. Your idea of a loan is a good one because you will have the $$ available to consistently train.

My $0.02 worth, your mileage may vary.

I've heard. A couple pilots say that the Sims can develop a bad habit of focusing on the instruments to much. When I took my intro flight the instructor told me I was to focused on the instruments. Now when I fly on the sim I make a conscious effort to constantly look around outside the cockpit with the hat switch. Flying "with your but" lol yes totally different when you can feel all the forces while flying a real aircraft. Even if all you did was buy a dirt cheap used FSX and read all the information in the learning center section I'd say its well worth while.

The issues about focusing on the instruments and flying by feel are real issues. Be aware of this and keep that hat switch moving and learn to scan the instruments (FSX teaches this BTW) and there's a lot you can learn and put into practice. I found transitioning from sim to real that the forces you feel in a real aircraft actually only make it easier to fly.

Last edited:
Or just turn off the panel all together. Practice flying by reference to the horizon.

The problem with FSX is that it's a game. It's a fun game, yes, but it's a game. There's no consequence to failure, and while the physics are good, they are targeted towards letting people play. Crank the realism up to maximum levels, and you're on better footing, but still not really real.

X-Plane is better in this department. Its physics engine is totally unforgiving. If you want a home sim as a training aid to real life, this is the best one you can get.

But be very careful thinking that you're using this as a training tool. Chances are, you're not.

Something like this??
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight...d=1359435506&sr=1-1&keywords=flight+simulator

Yes, FlightGear is pretty good, and the price is right. Most of the models are incomplete, but there are some very good ones, especially the Cessna 172P. FlightGear correctly models dynamics to the point that a huge problem is newbie users dropping it because the aircraft always veers left on takeoff. Real aircraft do that too if you don't give them any rudder input. Just don't turn on "multiplayer" and use the default airport. It's KSFO, but it looks like a bloodbath of crashing aircraft, left and right.

However, you won't gain much from this. It can teach you where the instruments are and what they mean, as well as help with SOME procedures and instrument navigation (the 172P doesn't have a master switch, though!). But that's a very small part of what you learn flying. And it teaches bad habits. It is NOT useful for pilotage and only barely for ded reckoning, nor for flying the "pattern," due to a lack of useful landmarks and difficulty looking out side windows.

It's also FAR too easy to spot traffic below you in the sim. Computers aren't very good at very low contrast.

I spent about a year on FlightGear before I took my first lesson. It made virtually no difference whatsoever. Learning to fly is mostly getting a "feel" for the airplane and the sight pictures. Those are different in a simulator. Instrument training is another story, but that's not what the question was.

You might get SOME benefit from a full motion sim, but you would get a lot more from a real airplane.

Last edited:
Back