November 9 - a momentous day in history

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
a little quiz for everyone! I noticed this coinkydink a long time ago (or was it actually a plan...)

no googling! ya gotta think about it - I'll give clues if anyone is stumped. I doubt this will take very long before someone gets it though.

Yesterday was November 9. On that day in history, one country has had three significant things happen on this date.

November 9, 1923
November 9, 1938
November 9, 1989

which country was it (easy) and what were the three events?

great! now name what happened (although that should be obvious).

In Germany, November 9 is written 9/11... :lightning:

I knew the last one - the fall of the Berlin Wall - and remember where I was when I heard about it, but I wiki'ed the other 2 to know exactly what they were - even though I had a pretty good idea.

Wll, I'm gonna take a stab, based on the years. First combat death in WWI, First combat death in WWII, and the fall of the Berlin wall.

Nick - you're on the right track (meaning WWII related) but not quite... it's actually a lot easier than that.

1938 must be when germany invaded and started WWII

1923 when hitler came to power?

nope, but you are really close! really close.

there are actually a few other "big" November 9 dates for Germany, too...

1938 was Kristallnacht if I remeber correctly, the 1923 one I have no idea on. I'm gueesing it was related to Adolf in some way though.

Pete

ooooooo, 1923 was probably when he got out of prison?

you guys are so darn close. 1938 is Kristallnacht.

1923 - you are all dancing around it, but not quite. so very close. it's easy, it really is, you'll slap your forehead when you get it.

trying to remember the course of events. perhaps he had some reason to give himself "emergency" powers, turning himself into the dictator instead of president/prime minister equivalent? i cant remember the reason was though.

what do you do when you go to Germany? or what do you automatically think of when you think of Germany (a clue) and no not Beemers or Benzes.

woodstock said:
what do you do when you go to Germany? or what do you automatically think of when you think of Germany (a clue) and no not Beemers or Benzes.
I'm sure Herbie knows.

what is one of the first words you would learn when you take a trip to Germany (a clue, goes with the other clue...)

Autobahn and ausfart were my first two german words.

And:

Iche haben eine grossen spielzug in meine tache (spelling is likely wrong).

woodstock said:
what is one of the first words you would learn when you take a trip to Germany (a clue, goes with the other clue...)

I am a donut!!!

sigh.

if I give up this clue so easily, everyone has it.

what is the first thing you order in Germany? many people prefer the German version of this, over the American version.

woodstock said:
sigh.

if I give up this clue so easily, everyone has it.

what is the first thing you order in Germany? many people prefer the German version of this, over the American version.

Bratwurst!

woodstock said:

If it's not Beemers or Benzes then it has to be Brats and Beer! :rofl:

woodstock said:

Hofbrau Haus.

Ein BIER, bitta!!!!!!

Edit: Doh! Didn't read page 2 before posting, thinking "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I know!"

Last edited:
Back