Wanted: Partnership NOVA West A36 Bonanza Partnership

Tim Waltz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I am interested in finding a partnership for a Beech A-36 Bonanza. I am pretty settled on the airframe as it meets the mission I have in mind. I have been looking at purchasing for 6 months or so pretty exhaustively but it’s just not a financial reality right now (at least not for anything I see that I am interested in). There are some very nice airplanes, but clearly overpriced and probably still a bit out of my reasonable range. I want to have enough money left over to fly it after all :)

I live out in the Flint Hill/Amissville area so basing locations would be Manassas (KHEF), Culpeper (KCJR), Warrenton-Fauquier (KHWY), Luray (KLUA) or possibly Winchester (KOKV). I had a few leads but nothing turned up so I figured I would reach out in case anybody knew of anything or had other thoughts. I might be interested in forming a new partnership if I found the right folks but would need to secure a hanger before I would be willing to sink any money into a plane. I am a firm believer in not leaving an airplane outside (past experience). From some talking with folks it seems like finding hangar space might be possible at KOKV or KLUA but I haven’t directly checked (was hoping to find something existing available). At any rate throwing it out there in case anyone knows of anything or wants to start a conversation.

Cheers!

Any luck on this? I’m new to NOVA and interested in a partnership, but I know just about nothing when it comes to what’s involved and how it works. Thanks!

Any luck on this? I’m new to NOVA and interested in a partnership, but I know just about nothing when it comes to what’s involved and how it works. Thanks!
Not really. I found an existing partnership that would have worked for me at KHEF, but I had missed the sale of an open slot by about 6 months. No luck otherwise so I have been renting. I considered starting my own but the wait list for a hanger is so long it makes it very difficult. I am on multiple wait lists at different airports, so i guess we will see. The problem is once a hangar opens up at KHEF you have 30 days to purchase an aircraft or you lose it. If your picky about what your looking for you need to depend on a lot of luck and being rushed through a purchase for an expensive investment that can have steep consequences if you kiss something. I still haven’t decided what I am going to do.

I've been looking too. The individual/group looking earlier this year was interested in a 172 and ended up with an Arrow. Neither of which I was interested in the time, but with the current market, I probably should have been less picky. I am on the KHEF hanger wait list too..I actually got to the top 2.5 years ago but didn't have a plane and it was a very long list to go to the back of. As of this May, I was #45 of 130.

I've really been looking for a 177, 182, or a Tiger but I'd be open to about anything with enough useful load for 3 people and some bags for a 2-3 hr flight. I'd be open to a an A36, but I'd probably make the insurance bill pricy being low time and no retract.

My mission is 4-5 people (2-3 kids) and bags which sort of limits my options especially single engine. I have considered moving up to a twin like a Baron, but those kind of partnerships are even harder to find and I am not sure I can afford the increased maintenance of a twin for now even as a partnership. I see lots of beautiful birds hitting the market, but that a sole ownership is still out of my budget and I am not buying anything unless I can hanger it.

Would sitting an A36 outside for a year be that bad? It’s not a 35 with mag tail feathers.

That's one of those questions where you ask 100 people and you will likely get 75 (or more) different answers. I have partially owned aircraft before that have been stored inside and outside in the Midwest and I can say from my experience being outside all the time is hard on just about everything and there was a noticeable difference in upkeep. Here we are not that close to the ocean but corrosion is still a concern. There are things you can do to help mitigate sun and bugs but it gets expensive and it adds a reasonable amount of time to getting in the plane to go fly (and it's still a far cry from the protection of just having it in a hangar). To your initial question, would it be so bad for a year or so, who knows it really depends on the condition of every part impacted by being exposed. Even a year can substantially impact the lifespan of paint, glass, avionics given the right situation. It just speeds up the deterioration cycle on nearly everything and given the age of most of the aircraft in the fleet and the investment required it's just something I am not willing to take a chance with. So it's probably as much a personal decision as anything. Plenty of folks might jump on to flame and disagree with me but that's my personal perspective from my experience.

Not really. I found an existing partnership that would have worked for me at KHEF, but I had missed the sale of an open slot by about 6 months. No luck otherwise so I have been renting. I considered starting my own but the wait list for a hanger is so long it makes it very difficult. I am on multiple wait lists at different airports, so i guess we will see. The problem is once a hangar opens up at KHEF you have 30 days to purchase an aircraft or you lose it. If your picky about what your looking for you need to depend on a lot of luck and being rushed through a purchase for an expensive investment that can have steep consequences if you kiss something. I still haven’t decided what I am going to do.

Yeah I'm finding my options here are just not that appealing. I live in Fairfax but joined up with the Fort Meade Flying Activity at FME since their rates were very reasonable for the area ($130/hr for a 180hp 172; $160/hr for an Arrow), but I'm finding that they are just not meeting my needs. The Arrow had a prop strike in June and just came back on line last week, but they aren't doing any checkouts until engine break-in is complete, so who knows how long that is going to take. The 172 is just too slow and not enough useful load for my mission.

My preferred option is a partnership in something that will make at least 150 KTAS. In the meantime I'm considering clubs at GAI and HEF. I'd consider starting one myself, but that would truly be jumping into the deep end of the pool head first, and I'd like to be a member of a partnership before I try to run one.

I'll send you a PM, it might be worth connecting

Gents,
New to the forum here, but I came here to start plying the waters for a partnership. I understand the desire to avoid twins, but would/can you consider an older Seneca III with the right partners and airplane? I could also join the right single club with the right airplane, if you have something already lined up.

I'm looking around JYO but would consider HEF. Initial hangering probably would need to be out further west (OKV, Martinsburg, etc).

The thing I worry about with a twin is that I’ve read a lot about the cost - twice as many engines, but four times the cost to maintain, or something like that. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to a twin, but I’d have to have a pretty good understanding of the costs first, and I just don’t know what I don’t know right now.

I am interested in finding a partnership for a Beech A-36 Bonanza. I am pretty settled on the airframe as it meets the mission I have in mind. I have been looking at purchasing for 6 months or so pretty exhaustively but it’s just not a financial reality right now (at least not for anything I see that I am interested in). There are some very nice airplanes, but clearly overpriced and probably still a bit out of my reasonable range. I want to have enough money left over to fly it after all :)

I live out in the Flint Hill/Amissville area so basing locations would be Manassas (KHEF), Culpeper (KCJR), Warrenton-Fauquier (KHWY), Luray (KLUA) or possibly Winchester (KOKV). I had a few leads but nothing turned up so I figured I would reach out in case anybody knew of anything or had other thoughts. I might be interested in forming a new partnership if I found the right folks but would need to secure a hanger before I would be willing to sink any money into a plane. I am a firm believer in not leaving an airplane outside (past experience). From some talking with folks it seems like finding hangar space might be possible at KOKV or KLUA but I haven’t directly checked (was hoping to find something existing available). At any rate throwing it out there in case anyone knows of anything or wants to start a conversation.

Cheers!
Hello! Ren here I am happy I had a chance to see your post, it seems like we are like minded and are looking for aircraft that have the ability to carry a decent load (at least 4 people) and goes at least 160 knots. However I have been looking to buy this year. I have been looking at Cessna 310, Cessna337 and Barron 55/58. You have probably noticed the aircraft I have been looking at are twin due to my intent to fly my family and I rather limp to the nearest airport vs a force landing close to one. Originally, I was told to find your aircraft first while you are waiting on the list because these hangar spaces may take years and a great opportunity may come first. Currently, if a partnership brought a plane with low time two pilot flying at 50hrs a year it may take up to 10 year or more before paying for eng over hauls

I’m interested if it’s based at Khef

I'm also interested in a partnership at KHEF. For others interested keep me in the loop. Thanks!

Let me know if you get any further. I have been considering a bonanza at KHEF also.

Back