Notre Dame Fire

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Some of that wood in that building was cut and used in 1100-1300, what kind of preservative would they have had in those days to make that wood last that long?

Old growth.

In my hometown, there are vertical log homes from the early 1700's. The logs are buried 4' into the ground and haven't rotted thru.

There is no comparison between yesterday's old growth timber and today's "wood farm" timber.

And besides. If the roof didn't leak and there are no termites, the wood should last forever regardless.

Some of that wood in that building was cut and used in 1100-1300, what kind of preservative would they have had in those days to make that wood last that long?
No preservatives needed, keep it away from fresh water and you get no dry rot.
Tar (Stockholm tar) made from pine trees if the wood needed to be outdoors. It was an important export from the American colonies (supposedly how Tar Heels got their name). Salt also inhibits dry rot, but it washes away easily.

It is a terrible loss. We were looking forward to seeing it next summer.

Some perspective, though ... many historic buildings in Europe have been rebuilt over the ages - some multiple times - after major fires or other disasters. And that's not counting the many that were rebuilt nearly from the ground up after having been bombed in WW2.

There is no comparison between yesterday's old growth timber and today's "wood farm" timber..

I reclaimed part of a barn that was made of old growth pine. I turned some of the beams into our kitchen table.

Anyway, the pine, which is probably 200 years old, doesn't even resemble today's store bought pine. The old stuff is incredibly dense and also hell for stout. Close growth rings, and feels more like maple from a density and hardness standpoint than you'd believe.

No exposed wood. The building was stone on the outside. I’m glad to have visited it. I love Paris. Great city.

Watching the news, (yeah I know) that fire seemed to burn incredibly hot and fast for just wood.
also many wood structures are treated with Linseed oil. and some sealed with pitch.

Old dense extremely dried wood, I'd expect nothing but a firestorm once the conflagration started. Terrible that it has happened, hopefully they can save the art and historic glass etc.

Back