Notice in London Tube (Humor)

woodstock said:
sad but true innit?

Police shootings :

U.K. 1998-2001 : 43 incidents ended with injuries, 11 with fatalities - TOTAL - Average maybe 4 a year for the entire country.
Detroit 1998-2001 : 10 fatalities per year...
New York : 28 per year...

All of those justified and evil terrorist types ?

Detroit Free Press said:
Leong, a 40-year-old Detroit plant worker with a history of mental problems, had threatened his wife, been convicted of felonious and sexual assault and fired shots at a motorist moments before his drunken encounter with police.

But Detroit Police officers John Borgens and James Pratt knew none of that at 8:30 p.m., Nov. 18, 1997, when they spotted him squealing his tires while rounding a corner in southwest Detroit.

When they chased him onto a dead-end street, they said he climbed out with a 12-gauge shotgun, fired into the air and yelled, "Go ahead and shoot me!"

Police said they opened fire when he turned on them with the gun. He died of 12 to 16 shots to the back and the palm of one hand.

Homicide detectives and the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said officers shot in self-defense.

Robinson questioned how the officers could have been shooting in self-defense when all the shots were to the back. "I think they executed him and the department covered it up," Robinson said. He said the officers should have been charged with a crime.

Last I looked, that didn't even make the front page of the Detroit Free Press, let alone CNN, the BBC, or any other news station. One of a long line of 'questionable' shootings in Detroit.

That's the sad thing.

Back