Nothing short of astounding - the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I finally got around to putting some photos online (5 months later...). This was an amazing sight to behold! I believe there were around 700 balloons this time around. ABQ has great wind currents for ballooning - the balloons tend to follow a "box" shape so you get to see them more than once - they just come back around again.

They had some pretty inventive balloons. One balloon that had me jumping all over the place was the Brandenburg Gate (can you believe it?). I saw it slowly inflating, far away, from the side and the horses were the first thing to pop up. Needless to say I recognized it immediately - that may have been one of the most unique balloons there.

You must must must see this once in your life. The photos make it appear as if God just threw a bunch of colors in the air and then they wafted around. I give this a thumbs up for taking your kids, too - my brother's little boy is the age where it'd be a hoot to watch him watching this, and my little niece is now just one so she'd enjoy it but not quite as much.

Enjoy!

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/326551/index.html

Nice pics! I especially like the night glow shots. I couldn't find one with the Brandenburg Gate/Horse balloon; did you post one? If so, which one is it?

I missed that year's balloon fiesta, which is too bad, since it will likely be my last for a long time too.

Looks stunning though!

edit: Looks like you hit old town too, eh?

did you see any literature at the field about the "Albuquerque Box" ? Its pretty impressive. Winds are almost always 180 degrees from each other about 1000 feet apart right above the field (I think that's the figure, might be 500 ft). So the balloons take off with the wind, climb up, and go the opposite direction, descend, come back over the field, and repeat as much as they want until they choose to leave the area.

Last edited:
glad you like them! I thought I included it, weird. There was a brief hiccup on the internet while downloading, maybe that is what happened gimme a sec....

I missed that year's balloon fiesta, which is too bad, since it will likely be my last for a long time too.

Looks stunning though!

edit: Looks like you hit old town too, eh?

did you see any literature at the field about the "Albuquerque Box" ? Its pretty impressive. Winds are almost always 180 degrees from each other about 1000 feet apart right above the field (I think that's the figure, might be 500 ft). So the balloons take off with the wind, climb up, and go the opposite direction, descend, come back over the field, and repeat as much as they want until they choose to leave the area.

We had a great time. Old Town, Santa Fe, Chimayo, Bernalillo (Range Cafe! if you stop by again my solo photo may be there as they will post photos of you, wearing their Range Cafe T shirt. er, as soon as I send it that is. :redface: ) My parents are going back out again next fall for sure, not completely sure WHEN, they may see the Fiesta again or just miss it. I told my uncle I'd come out and go fly fishing with him on the San Juan River (I believe it is?)

We had a great time. Old Town, Santa Fe, Chimayo, Bernalillo (Range Cafe! if you stop by again my solo photo may be there as they will post photos of you, wearing their Range Cafe T shirt. er, as soon as I send it that is. :redface: ) My parents are going back out again next fall for sure, not completely sure WHEN, they may see the Fiesta again or just miss it. I told my uncle I'd come out and go fly fishing with him on the San Juan River (I believe it is?)

The San Juan River is amazing for fishing, espcially if you hit the part right by Navajo Lake, east of Farmington (I bet FourCornersFlyer can attest to that). You'll have a blast!

You're pretty much limited to 2 or 3 rivers in all of New Mexico: Rio Grande, San Juan, and I'm sure there's a 3rd, but I can't think of it (certainly not the Rio Puerco anymore, it never has water).

You must must must see this once in your life. The photos make it appear as if God just threw a bunch of colors in the air and then they wafted around. I give this a thumbs up for taking your kids, too - my brother's little boy is the age where it'd be a hoot to watch him watching this, and my little niece is now just one so she'd enjoy it but not quite as much.

Sold! - We're going this fall, even if we have to drive all the way there. My daughter will love it.

Back