Nothing beats...

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
...that last flight of the night.

The smooth, clear air as the sun is doused by the horizon. Being able to see New York City, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Washinton DC, and Richmond, VA, all at the same time. Being able to see your home airport from over 100 miles out. Getting cleared direct to your home airport from 152 miles out.

Hearing the ATIS say "calm, 10, and clear." Rolling gently onto final over the shore line to see two reds, two whites, and your airspeed exactly where you want it. Having 9,000 feet of well lit concrete stretched out just for you. Barely being able to feel the wheels roll onto the runway. Not having to use brakes or reverse to make the turnoff you want. Hearing the guy next to you say "very nicely done."

It's nights like this that make it all worth while. Normally it's a race to finish the post flight and catch the crew van to my car. Last night, I wasn't even thinking about getting home. I told the rest of the crew I'd catch up with them, I was going to take my time. On nights like this, it's worth it to be the last one in the plane; the last one on the ramp. The cool still air, marked by seemingly endless stars - the airplane just seems at home here; I feel at home here.

It took me 10 minutes to do a 2 minute post flight. It's easy to get lost in the day after day repitition of the job, I've noticed it's not often any more I spend time looking up. I couldn't stop myself last night. The rest of the crew wondered what had taken me so long. I told them I just had something else I had to do: remind myself why I love flying so much.

...that last flight of the night.

The smooth, clear air as the sun is doused by the horizon. Being able to see New York City, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Washinton DC, and Richmond, VA, all at the same time. Being able to see your home airport from over 100 miles out. Getting cleared direct to your home airport from 152 miles out.

Hearing the ATIS say "calm, 10, and clear." Rolling gently onto final over the shore line to see two reds, two whites, and your airspeed exactly where you want it. Having 9,000 feet of well lit concrete stretched out just for you. Barely being able to feel the wheels roll onto the runway. Not having to use brakes or reverse to make the turnoff you want. Hearing the guy next to you say "very nicely done."

It's nights like this that make it all worth while. Normally it's a race to finish the post flight and catch the crew van to my car. Last night, I wasn't even thinking about getting home. I told the rest of the crew I'd catch up with them, I was going to take my time. On nights like this, it's worth it to be the last one in the plane; the last one on the ramp. The cool still air, marked by seemingly endless stars - the airplane just seems at home here; I feel at home here.

It took me 10 minutes to do a 2 minute post flight. It's easy to get lost in the day after day repitition of the job, I've noticed it's not often any more I spend time looking up. I couldn't stop myself last night. The rest of the crew wondered what had taken me so long. I told them I just had something else I had to do: remind myself why I love flying so much.

Sounds like you like your job almost as much as I hate mine... :D

Nice write-up, BTW.

You can stop rubbing it in now. Sometimes it's nice to run the MILL ABOUT checklist.

Sounds like you like your job almost as much as I hate mine... :D

Nice write-up, BTW.

Thanks, it has its moments :smile:.

You can stop rubbing it in now. Sometimes it's nice to run the MILL ABOUT checklist.

I meant this more as reminder of why I fly, in general, but yes...it makes it even better to get paid to do it :yes:. The MILL ABOUT checklist?

Yeah, it's what we call it when we land but it somehow takes us 30-45 minutes to get off the jet and get in to debrief the sortie. Most of the time it is frustrating, but other times you had a day that was so good, you just don't want it to end.

Yeah, it's what we call it when we land but it somehow takes us 30-45 minutes to get off the jet and get in to debrief the sortie. Most of the time it is frustrating, but other times you had a day that was so good, you just don't want it to end.

Ahhhhh, I get it! :rofl: That's a good one, I'm going to have to remember it!

My favorite time to fly is at night. If it were possible, I'd volunteer to do all the night flights with all students.

My favorite day flights always include a stop in Llano. :)

Honestly, I don't really care for night flight. I love the view from my airborne office and in our neck of the woods, there's not a whole lot to see in the dark. Well, except for the Northern Lights on the ocassional night.

Seems as though you are there fairly often. Hopefully this won't cause any weight and balance problems! :D

Gary
Nope... we burn off the fuel on the way out to make space for the BBQ.

When ya come back to Austin, you'll have to find out how it works. :)

Back