notes from my scrap book; Mom's first X-C

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
In early October of 1962 my mom asked me if I could fly her to Chapel Hill in NC to visit a professional reference to help her get a teaching position at the U of MD. She had always wanted to teach and do research at the Univerisity level.

My mom just a few months before had moved to the DC area to begin a new life after my dad had died. I was just 18 then and helped her with the move. I had found a great little airport GAI to work at and my boss was really helpful to me. The FBO was a dealer for Beech and also brokered used aircraft. I would keep all of them nice and clean to attracted buyers. My boss really helped out and let me use a plane for cost. It was a cherry 1956 C-172 shinning in it's polished skin. I had flown it a bit and it was sweet expect the VHF NAV COM. It was a Lear Ominigator with "Whistle Stop Tunning". The COM portion worked well but the NAV was iffy. Also the plane had a nice LF receiver a Hallicrafters. I use to listen to early Rock and ball games with it and yes the few ranges as well.

The day came and mom came to the airport dressed for travel. She always dressed her best for she felt that one should look their best in public. She wore a blue bussiness suit that day. The weather was incredible. Clear over the eastern half of the US and to stay that way.We took off and I flew dead reckoning to Chapel Hill. Mom said very little as we flew along. she did help by keeping track of checkpoints as I called them out. She watched as I used my stop watch, clock and charts to fly the route. The air was silky smooth and very clear. Soon with airport in sight we landed.

Mom's contact greeted us and so they left me at the airport to hang out. I was very happy for I always would go talk to all the airport folks. I found a fellow who took a look at the Lear and told me that it should be replaced which I knew. He said " It would make a nice boat anchor" The darn thing with power supply weighed close to 30 pounds. At least I could talk on it.

Mom came back in a couple of hours and she asked me "How long to see Charlottsville, VA" I told her maybe 2 hours depending on winds etc. Mom said she wanted to see campus of UVA. She seemed so much more possitive toward small plane flying. Shortly we were on our way. During this leg mom handled more of the naviagation chores and even did some flying as we cruised through the early afternoon sky. I played with the Lear to see if I could get some sort of VOR out of it but to know avail. I did receive the weather broadcasts at 15 and 45 after the hour which was a great help. Mom asked if I was going to talk on it when we came to Charlottsville. I told her that I would.

Soon as the clock told me that we were 10 minutes out I spotted the airport and told mom we were almost there. She said, " I know for I could see the town to the south of the airport" I gave the COM side of the Lear a work out. It worked and loud a clear as a dinner bell on farm. Mom was elated. She said it gets dull not talking to folks on the ground. I said it is real nice to have it so that one can yell for help.

We landed and the FBO gave us a courtesy car to use a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker that burned gas at about 10 miles to the gallon. We drove to the campus and found that they were gettign ready for Home Coming and the place was packed with Alumini. We grabbed a bite to eat and headed back to the airport.

It was late afternoon and I knew mom would get a treat for we would compltete our soujourn in the early evening. The flight home woudl be easy for US RT 29 goes right to DC and I would pick up GAI's beacon and lights. They were left on all night which many airports did in those days.

With a visit to flight service with fresh weather aboard we took off. Mom now really wanted to learn more. I had her watch for check points along Rt 29 look for planes and airport beacons. She was having fun as we flew along to the DC area. I told her that we have well over 50 miles of visabity and we will see the lights of DC coming up very soon.

Mom had great eyes and saw the Washington Momument from 50 miles out. The planes flying into to DC gave us a trail to follow for a while. At 30 miles out I spotted the beacon at GAI. With a slight bank I headed toward it. I pointed it out to mom and she said. " I wish that our flight was not over so soon" She wanted to keep flying seeing all the lights. We flew over the airport and soon the wheels kissed the runway.

Mom helped me with putting the plane away. She told me that it was one of the best days and time of her life. I knew that she was still healing from dad's death and I was so happy that a plane ride of better than 600 miles in a 1956 C-172 could help her feel better.

She asked me just before she left the airport about costs of buying a plane and I told her that it was way out of my league at the time. She said; "I know you will get a plane some day and I hope you will take me up in it" 20 years later I got a plane and she was one of the first to fly in it.

Thank you for reading

John J

Last edited:
Flying with family, especially your parents is the epitome of delight in taking passengers. And your flight was healing...for both of you. That story is a great treasure for you to have.

Flying with family, especially your parents is the epitome of delight in taking passengers. And your flight was healing...for both of you. That story is a great treasure for you to have.

Richard

Thank you very much You touched the heart of the story. It was very much a healing for both of us. When she did her field studies in remote areas she would always ask me about the planes that she took. That fall was a great time of learning as a 18 year old. I was and still am very glad to have made that flight.

Thanks again

John

Dang John, you did it again. A GREAT story! Brought tears of joy to my eyes! (And made me remember my father, and the one flight I was able to give him before he passed.)

Grant;

I can't thank you enough. I had tears when I was reading all my notes during that year of 1962. I was and am very lucky thanks to the airport gang where I worked and they took me in during some hard times. Mom and I both began a new journey that year and the flight that day was something we talked about for a long time. You put it very well that flying our parents is one of the greatest joys that we can do as pilots.

John

Back