notes from my old scrap book and logs; "team work"

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
I found some notes about a flight my son and I made not long ago. He tells me it was the best one we had together. It all began when I flew him to his home in New London, CT. on a hazy warm summer morning. My son was a young lad of 14 and loved to fly with me when he could.

We went out to the airport and did another check of the weather. It was calling for 300 and one at Groton with rising ceilings as the day wore on. I set up the flight plan and had my son practice calculating the times, fuel needs to GON and the alternate. He enjoyed helping out and loved to track the time of all of our flights together.

We took off just after 10 in the morning from ODW for the 40 minute flight to GON. The sky was milky white with no horizon with maybe 2 to 3 miles of visability. The routing of our trip was changed many times for traffic. My son worked the E-6B, my old elasped clock, and made sure my old stop watch that he wore around his neck was ready for the approach. He had my approach plates out, in order and ready for me.

Soon we were flying over a deck of very smooth stratus clouds. Tops had to be just over 2,000. We were at 4,000 looking down on this solid undercast. My son tuned in the ATIS at GON and no change since we left OWD; 300 and a mile were the conditions. I told him it was just above minimums. He said "Gee I hope we do not have to go to Providence". He always had a sense of humor. The controller told us to fly to the VOR that is co located at the airport and hold. We were just 10 miles from there still at 4,000. I told my son we were going to hold for traffic. I mentioned to him that we would need to be real carefull recording time while in the hold. He was ready as I backed off power and retrimed the plane to holding speed.

Around and around we went for 10 minutes in the hold. Then came the magic words. "Cleard from Present Position to Pinet at 4,000". I locked the plane onto the Loc and flew outbound to the final approach fix. My son set up the second nav for all the cross fixes and gave me distance from the GPS. I had the plane all set with fuel tanks switched, power set.

As we passed over the final approach fix outboud we got the clearence for the approach, contact the tower etc.. My son, as we passed over the fix, hit the stop watch and called time for me as I began the precedure turn to reverse course. He also called altitude as we decended toward the murk below. As we came out on our final heading I mentioned to my son that we were going to have about 10 knots of tailwind. He told me he knew for he had be watching our relative headings and speed. I felt so great to have him there next to me. He was so observant.

Soon the glide slope came alive just before the final approach fix. As we crossedthe fix, he started timing and put his eyes to the wind screen to look for the runway. The air was smooth as we decended. My son called out time to go, and altitude. I called out "3 in the green and power set." Our cocpit was a happy one,voices full of teamwork. The air was moist and it was getting darker as we decended. My son called 500 feet and thenhe said "I see boats" as well flew over the water toward the runway. He called 400 feet, and I had my hand ready on the power. At 350 feet, he said in his calm voice; "I see the runway" I looked up and there is was. He then said we are on time as we crossed the MM. We landed easy and just let the plane roll out gently and lightly using brakes to make the turnoff.

I let my son taxi to the ramp after the turn off. His face said it all. It was all lit up full of pride and accomplishment. As we got out of the plane, his grand father asked him who flew the plane and I told him we both did. :)

Thank you for reading

John

John, you're filling up my hard drives AviationStories directory. :p Keep them coming. :yes:

I think one of the things that make your stores so great is that while they're interesting in themselves, they also remind me of similar flights I've gone on..and often forgot about until I read your stuff.

Every summer in New England, me, my dad and my aunt would go on full day XC's to new places. We would often shuffle activities and seats on each flight. One I distinctly remember (because of your story) was my dad flying, my aunt running the radios and me navigating from the back seat. It was a day trip from the farm in the Catskills to Long Island to Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket, across to the mainland then to Rhode Island and back to the farm. It was a day of flying, sight seeing, history lessons and generally having a great time. Any one of us could have done it alone however working together the way we did made it so fun and memorable. Whoo hoo!!!! The Good Life!

Thank you for sharing.

Frank.

Frank;

Thank you very much for your note. That must have been fun flying on those x-cs' with your dad and aunt. I loved taking my son to places of history and fun.

John

Great Story John,
The line about teamwork says it all.

Rudy said:
Great Story John,
The line about teamwork says it all.
Logged in just this once to say John, I really love your stories. You ought to publish them!

Bruce (bbchien_insightbb.com)

Rudy;

Thank you so much; Team work so important and I feel so lucky that I got to get my education as a copilot.

John

bbchien said:
Logged in just this once to say John, I really love your stories. You ought to publish them!

Bruce (bbchien_insightbb.com)

Bruce;

I cannot say enough thank you's for my eyes are filled with tears of gratitude. You have been so helpful to so many and I cannot repay that thanks.

I am working to publish these I am speach less. Can't spell to well

always humble and always learning;

John

John,
All I can say is that I had a great big smile on my face as I read the story. Thanks!

John J said:
always humble and always learning;

John

'nother good one John, keep 'em coming.

BTW have you read MM Charles' book, Artful Flying? From your stories and attitude I think you would like it.

John I suppose many of us have experiences such as yours but you just tell them so Dam^ well. Such a joy to read.

Very nice story John.
It can be like they say, over dramatic and not totally true of course,
"If you don't write it down, (or some other record) it's like it never happened."

gprellwitz said:
John,
All I can say is that I had a great big smile on my face as I read the story. Thanks!

Grant;

I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading. I am working on writing and getting all of these notes together.

John

lancefisher said:
'nother good one John, keep 'em coming.

BTW have you read MM Charles' book, Artful Flying? From your stories and attitude I think you would like it.

Lance;

I have read MM Charles's book and really enjoyed it a lot.

Thank you

John

Adam and Dave;

Thank you both for your kind notes. I do enjoy sharing flying adventures with fellow pilots. When I was an "Airport Kid" I loved to hang out and just listen to pilots share their experiences. One old timer brought in his scrap book and showed to all of us hanger rats. It was filled with pictures of old Jennies, Boeings, Douglas's and goshs other great planes and stories that made you appreciate all the wisdom these pioneers passed on to airport kids like me.

Thanks again

John

Back