Notams

Edgefly

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Edgefly
Which part of the FAA can provide information about the Format of NOTAM messages. I don't find any regular publications which cover this.

Is the beginning of this document what you're looking for maybe? Pages 12 thru 20 covers contractions.

Last edited:
Tim, I had found the document you discussed in Foreflight but could not find the breakout of two notams which came up in a flight briefing i got from Foreflight.
In the meantime, I kept asking and got a reference to the document indicated by
ronachamp. I agree with him that it has the answers I requested. It is readily available on the internet. Some FAA weather briefers referred to it as the "NOTAM Handbook".

ronachamp, I still need a little help with the use of it though.
The notam I specifically have questions on is:

!GPS 14/10113 KGPS NAV PSUEDO RANDOM NOISE 01 out of service 14/10271600-14/10280400

With the help of 7930.2P, I understand that platform 01 is out of service for the specified time period. Is this only of use to the pilot programming a set of GPS equipment ? I would think the hardware would find this to be an error and try other combinations when it tried to access the system. Is the Noam meant to assist the pilot in programming or is there more implied as a navigation shortcoming in the area for which the Notam is issued ? In this particular case there were two additional notams for #'s 03 and 16 with different out of sevice times.

Last edited:
Tim, I had found the document you discussed in Foreflight but could not find the breakout of two notams which came up in a flight briefing i got from Foreflight.
In the meantime, I kept asking and got a reference to the document indicated by
ronachamp. I agree with him that it has the answers I requested. It is readily available on the internet. Some FAA weather briefers referred to it as the "NOTAM Handbook".

ronachamp, I still need a little help with the use of it though.
The notam I specifically have questions on is:

!GPS 14/10113 KGPS NAV PSUEDO RANDOM NOISE 01 out of service 14/10271600-14/10280400

With the help of 7930.2P, I understand that platform 01 is out of service for the specified time period. Is this only of use to the pilot programming a set of GPS equipment ? I would think the hardware would find this to be an error and try other combinations when it tried to access the system. Is the Noam meant to assist the pilot in programming or is there more implied as a navigation shortcoming in the area for which the Notam is issued ? In this particular case there were two additional notams for #'s 03 and 16 with different out of sevice times.

Foreflight might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when you are searching government documents and expect verbatim, go to www.faa.gov.

Bob Gardner

Bob Gardner,
Thank you for your tremendous help and great insight into the use and meaning of notams.

Are you aware of the Hangar Talk section ? Your attitude will be much more in line with the Facebook mentality there than in Flight Following.

Back