NOTAM: I'm back in the air. Beware.

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago during a Flight Review. CFI says do an emergency descent. I pitch and trim to VG, look around a bit and say "I'm gonna land 'there' " and start going through the checklists. He says no, not that and explains the new emergency descent thing to me. Has nothing to do with engine out emergency landings. It's about smoke in the cockpit and stuff like that where yah need to get the F down, NOW. He gave me the same full flaps and top of the white arc thing he gave you. Said it was the FAA's recommended 'generic' procedure. So I did that and then slipped it. Got down PDQ, pretty damn quick.

Ahh you know what, I think he did mention smoke. Makes sense. IMO good thing to expose students to.

Congrats @mscard88 ! I hope to be issuing the same NOTAM this week! LOL. We can terrorize the skies together.

The emergency descent is by far the least defined maneuver in all of the ACS. I’ve now seen three different CFIs want three different things. All lead to “get down quick” but besides that, there’s not much of a real standard until you get to the Commercial steep spiral.

Let's do it @denverpilot! I looked in the C152 POH I have from 1985 edition, and it has the emergency descent checklist in there. Doesn't mention smoke though. Guess I'll just have students (if I get any lol) all the profiles for emergency descents, forced landings, etc.

Last edited:
It's about smoke in the cockpit and stuff like that where yah need to get the F down, NOW. He gave me the same full flaps and top of the white arc thing he gave you. Said it was the FAA's recommended 'generic' procedure. So I did that and then slipped it. Got down PDQ, pretty damn quick.

If there is smoke in the cockpit you want to lose altitude as quickly as possible. Slowing to Vfe and putting the flaps down is counterproductive. If that worked, jump planes would descend from altitude with flaps. Flaps allow you to descend steeper, not more quickly. Emergency descents should be done without flaps unless the airplane has a Vfe equal to, or nearly equal to, Vno or higher.

Back