NOTAM database crash

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
Note on the top of AOPA.org today:

"WARNING TO PILOTS: The FAA's notam database has crashed and the agency is unable to issue new notams as of midnight May 22. AOPA will keep you advised."

And on my duat.com briefing:
"NOTAM data may not be current due to a US NOTAM Service interruption. A recheck of data prior to departure may be warranted."

Yeah maybe I finally got my wish for a moratorium on airport and runway closures!

No Notams, X-post

Sorry if this was already covered, but I got an email from AvWeb stating that the entire NOTAM system was down. So, my question is, is it legal to fly?

Re: No Notams, X-post

NOTAMS have resumed normal operation apparently, as I have been receiving notifications via e-mail today.

Sorry if this was already covered, but I got an email from AvWeb stating that the entire NOTAM system was down. So, my question is, is it legal to fly?

Last edited:
So if you bust a TFR after due dilligence, do you still get a suspension? What would they consider due dilligence?

So if you bust a TFR after due dilligence, do you still get a suspension? What would they consider due dilligence?

Due diligence would, at a minimum, include getting a weather briefing from DUATs or FSS (and if from FSS, ASKING FOR TFRs), immediately (less than one hour) before your flight.

AOPA Pilot this month has an article about a guy who got a full weather briefing the night before a flight, got just the METAR/TAFs the next morning before flying, and busted a TFR in Maine and got a 15 day suspension.

I'd also suggest flight following, or checking in with FSS while enroute if you're taking a long flight. Generally I believe the FAA likes to publish the NOTAM at least 6 hours in advance of any TFRs, with as much more time as possible.

The pilot is required to "obtain all available information."

If the information is not available.....most likely you can still be busted. :rolleyes:

Back