Not where you would expect to find this!

creweite

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Creweite
Photographed by my daughter outside a Lowes Home Improvement store in Rochester NY, must have been visiting the Aviation department!20180630_102251 (1).jpg

Cool!
I would have waited for the driver and tried chatting him/her up

Damaged prop or some sort of tie or ribbon on it?

Never mind. Looks like a blue strap is tied to it to prevent rotation.

Well it is a experimental ;)

I've been tempted more than once. They look like really fun airplanes.

Really? They were very popular for a time. Long before the mass RV craze.

Long before? Craze?

The first RV4s were built in the mid-70s, the Kitfox in the mid-80s. Both aircraft were derived from earlier designs.

Deliver a high performance design in kit form at the right price with a high completion rate... you end up with a dominant line of experimental aircraft produced profitably by one company.

The Kitfox designs have evolved and improved over the years as it moved from owner to owner. A good flying fun aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What's with the bumps on the cowling? Does it have a radial engine or do they want people to think it has a radial engine?

What's with the bumps on the cowling? Does it have a radial engine or do they want people to think it has a radial engine?
The latter.

Nauga,
and a little extra drag for appearance's sake

Long before? Craze?

The first RV4s were built in the mid-70s, the Kitfox in the mid-80s. Both aircraft were derived from earlier designs.

Deliver a high performance design in kit form at the right price with a high completion rate... you end up with a dominant line of experimental aircraft produced profitably by one company.

The Kitfox designs have evolved and improved over the years as it moved from owner to owner. A good flying fun aircraft.

The RVs weren’t really as “ubiquitous” as the home built of choice for the crowd when the Kitfox was super popular.

I’m just surprised he hadn’t seen one. They were around in about equal numbers on most ramps in the 90s. Whether the sales numbers were the same doesn’t matter, the ones you actually saw flying is all I’m saying there.

They originally had planned to use one of the small experimental radials. They are cool engines but they went Rotax instead. Cost and support is probably why but I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They originally had planned to use one of the small experimental radials. They are cool engines but they went Rotax instead. Cost and support is probably why but I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've seen several that are equipped with Rotec radials, but they have different cowlings than the one in the picture.

Back