Not using flight following

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I either am flying IFR or VFR with flight following if I am headed mor ethan about 40NMs. Today was a wonderful flying day. I headed up to Oshkosh and grabbed flight following form MKE-APP almost all the weay there. Had only one traffic call. Hardly anyone else was up.

On the way back from Oshkosh I decided to play with my handheld radio. It also has the ham band for 2m FM voice on it. So I plugged it in and put my headset on. I proceeded to have seveal conversation with people. I did not have flight following and I was not even listening to ATC. I did keep an eye out looking for traffic but saw none. This got me thinking about how many people fly longer distances without any sort of flight following?

When I lived in Arizona there were large areas where you could not reach center unless you were above 7-8000 MSL (in the mountains higher than that sometimes.) Also I lived near the intersection of three different center boundaries which could be a pain in the neck. The only time I used flight following was if I was going to land in class B, and wanted the ease of a handoff instead of calling approach. Usually filed a VFR flight plan instead.

I frequently fly 100 nm without FF. But then, along the FL coast there is at least one airport every 20 miles.:)

I get FF evertime i fly. But thats because i fly out of a TRSA.and have to talk to them anyway.
Dave G.

Five miles or 500 I seldom use it. If I'm in a busy area with planes all over the place I'll use it for added anti-collision purposes in addition to my normal separation tactics, otherwise not normally unless there's a specific reason for it at the time.
On XC's I'm completely on my own. The only exception is when over/underflying towered airspace and then it's courtesy to let them know I'm there and what my intentions are. When I'm clear of their airspace, I'm gone though I'll monitor for a while. I file a flight plan and update my position and intentions/eta about once an hour when possible. About half the time someone on the ground that knows how I think and has absolutely no fear of jabbing sticks into hornet nests knows where and when I'll arrive so they'll cattleprod the calvary if it comes to it.

I grew up flying on my own and I like it that way. It's just who I am.

Last edited:
Shipoke said:
I get FF evertime i fly. But thats because i fly out of a TRSA.and have to talk to them anyway.
Dave G.

I am based at and trained at the class C, so I'm very used to squawking and talking. Now that I'm IR, I file IFR anytime I travel outside the class C coverage area. Extra eyes good. Flight plan good. Not having to detour around pesky clouds, FUN! :yes:

I flew the PA-12 from the north end of the Chesapeake to Nassau Bahamas at about 1000' all the way and only talked to towers when I had to. I flew the M20R over 3000 miles on the east coast last month and almost always filed IFR. It depends what my mission is, low and slow almost never, anytime I'm going fast almost always. At 70 mph lots of time to see things, at 200 mph not so much.

What is funny is that I based just outside of Class B, O'Hare's to be exact. It is almost immpossible to get FF there so I sledom get it for local flights but I do request once I am away form their arispace. Ironic that away from their airspace is where I seldom need FF.

smigaldi said:
What is funny is that I based just outside of Class B, O'Hare's to be exact. It is almost immpossible to get FF there so I sledom get it for local flights but I do request once I am away form their arispace. Ironic that away from their airspace is where I seldom need FF.
Same here under the Philly Class B 4000' shelf. It's rare that anyone gets FF (aircraft calling Philly approach stand by...), and when I'm flying the R22 I don't bother because the only places where they're going to get me on radar when I'm 700 agl are places I don't want to autorotate in to...

Forget "aircraft calling," they usually don't even answer the phone for me. I was shocked last weekend on my trip back from Bader and Millville. Not only did they pick up the phone, they cleared me through Bravo right over Center City at 3500. Crystal clear day - I can't believe I forgot my camera! I wasn't even going to bother asking, but I figured what the heck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Talked to 3 controllers and each was super nice and helpful. Same goes for the KACY controllers on my trip out to Bader. A good day for ATC last Sunday!

Ordinarily I never get FF, whether I ask for it or not. I think they hear "Sundowner" and suddenly get REALLY busy...

Shipoke said:
Dave G.

TRSA's are non-regulatory & voluntary for VFR traffic you don't *have to* talk to them. It's a good idea and downright neighborly to do so. :yes:

See AIM 3-5-6 and 4-1-17b for details.

I have sort of a broad, general rule on this. Closer flights, good, VMC, even if cross country, I don't usually bother with FF anymore, unless I think they will provide some real help with traffic. Longer XC flights, good VMC, I go VFR with FF, so that I can go the route, within reason, that I want to fly. Longer XC flights, not so good VMC or IMC, I go IFR. This is all east coast flying.

Out west, when I have flown in Colorado particularly, it seems to me that, if you are mountain flying, you simply cannot count on getting FF because they just don't have the radar coverage, or radio ability, to keep monitoring you. So even fairly long trips in the mountains have had to be made WO ATC on my shoulder.

Jim G

When I did my MEGA loop around the US last July, I only got flight following once and that was near KRAP to get a good vector to Mt Rushmore. Other than that the only time I talked to anyone was when I was headed into controlled airspace. FSD, FCA(GPI), BIL, PDX, FMN, OKC and that was it. The rest of the time it was me and my mp3 player.

jdwatson said:
TRSA's are non-regulatory & voluntary for VFR traffic you don't *have to* talk to them. It's a good idea and downright neighborly to do so. :yes:

See AIM 3-5-6 and 4-1-17b for details.
Well may be non-regulatory but i bet you cant get into or out of KCXY without telling them you dont want the TRSA. You have to request non-trsa or they will give it to you.
Dave G

I wasn't advocating not participating, just mentioning that TSRAs are not regulatory. They're sort of the step-child of ATC. We have one around KILM (Wilmington, NC). I think KILM has some of the best controllers around. Good people.

jdwatson said:
I wasn't advocating not participating, just mentioning that TSRAs are not regulatory. They're sort of the step-child of ATC. We have one around KILM (Wilmington, NC). I think KILM has some of the best controllers around. Good people.

Except Dave is inside the class D space inside the TRSA. So it's "required" to participate for him to take off or land at Harrisburg.

Over hostile terrain of any kind I'll usually go with FF but if they get too busy & drop me, then I'll fall back on position reports along my standard FlightPlan with FSS when radio will get through, so as to minimize any search line length.

N2212R said:
Except Dave is inside the class D space inside the TRSA. So it's "required" to participate for him to take off or land at Harrisburg.

I couldn't tell that from his original post. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

jdwatson said:
I couldn't tell that from his original post. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Is there such a thing as a TRSA without a class D in the middle? :dunno: I kinda doubt it, 'cuz you'd have Approach, but no Tower.

flyingcheesehead said:
Is there such a thing as a TRSA without a class D in the middle? :dunno: I kinda doubt it, 'cuz you'd have Approach, but no Tower.

I would guess not, but there are several airports under the the TRSA around KILM and even so, you can decline TRSA services with the approach controllers, or better yet communicate that with the tower. The original post created the impression in my mind that communications were required with the TRSA controllers. I just wanted to point out that VFR participation was voluntary. I've never decline ATC's help when offered or available.

Last edited:
RotaryWingBob said:
Same here under the Philly Class B 4000' shelf. It's rare that anyone gets FF (aircraft calling Philly approach stand by...), and when I'm flying the R22 I don't bother because the only places where they're going to get me on radar when I'm 700 agl are places I don't want to autorotate in to...

I've always gotten flight following from Philly approach when I've asked. Also always gotten cleared into the Class B when I've asked. Then again, I'll usually listen for a couple minutes before calling them. If they are busy, I don't bother asking. And I always have a "plan B" if they don't clear me into their airspace.

I rarely use FF. Along with Bill's comments, I go IFR at night on long distances.

Back