Not so normal aviation photos

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new here, so I thought this might be a cool way to get to know some of you. I started this thread because I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has seen some "not so normal" aviation photos. Well, I guess I'll start off.

6gzapu.jpg

o70evd.jpg

jt9q44.jpg

I took this screenshot in FSX while one of the bots was making a landing at KIPT. I think he mistook the runway for a carrier deck.

288az5z.jpg

This photo was taken after a flood at Bloomsburg. Oh yeah, the river is about 150-175 yards to the right of the runway in this picture.

Well, You have the idea.

-Collin

Attachments

• DC-10-30 getting its engine deiced.jpg
    DC-10-30 getting its engine deiced.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Citation V and King Air after crash.jpg
    Citation V and King Air after crash.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 99
What's the story on the B-52, Steve?!? And for that matter, the CH-46...that doesn't look like an attitude conducive to flying!

What's the story on the B-52, Steve?!? And for that matter, the CH-46...that doesn't look like an attitude conducive to flying!
As I recall it, the Buff was practicing some high speed, low altitude target runs when it lost most of it's vertical stabilizer and all of it's rudder. The crew flew it home and made a successful landing.

http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryB52NoTail.html

The B-52H was conducting research into mountain wave and other types of turbulence when they found it. Ripped off most of the vertical stab and all the rudder. They lowered the aft landing gear and put the airbrakes at position 1 or 2 in order to get more drag aft and improve stability. It landed without incident but was pretty sporty from what I here.

The B-52H was conducting research into mountain wave and other types of turbulence when they found it. Ripped off most of the vertical stab and all the rudder. They lowered the aft landing gear and put the airbrakes at position 1 or 2 in order to get more drag aft and improve stability. It landed without incident but was pretty sporty from what I here.

I'd guess they found the turbulence they wanted! That photo is incredible, absolutely incredible.

Back when airplanes were real airplane and pilots were real pilots...neither of which were encumbered with today's information overload telling them they're supposed to crash after seriously invalidating the airworthiness certificate.

Busticated B-17's:

Attachments

• B-17battlecasualty.JPG
    B-17battlecasualty.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 74
  • B-17-nose-damage.jpg
    B-17-nose-damage.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 70
Wow! What a great thread!

DC-10-30 getting its engine deiced.jpg
Why doesn't anything else in the picture have ice on it? And the grass in the background is green...

Attachments

• Mandarin Airlines.jpg
    Mandarin Airlines.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 90
The B-52 was conducting turbulence flight testing as others have correctly described.

The CH-46 info from http://www.colheli.com/colheli.html is:

"In June 1982, Columbia Helicopters was hired by Sohio to participate in a test on Alaska's North Slope. The purpose of this test was to evaluate the ability of a helicopter - the Boeing Vertol 107-II - to tow a fully-loaded hover barge over water, snow and ice.

The test began in Prudhoe Bay on June 17. The Vertol's 600-foot long line was connected to hover barge ACT-100, jointly owned by Global Marine Development and VECO. Air blowers on the 170-ton barge forced a cushion of air under the barge, which was kept in place by rubberized skirt material. This first test was run around Prudhoe Bay with an empty barge, and was successful. During this and subsequent tests, the aircraft often flew with a nose-down angle approaching 25 degrees.

Next, ACT-100 was loaded with 40 tons of cargo for another close-in test run. Once more, the helicopter showed it could move the barge despite the additional weight. The final aspect of the test was to tow the hover barge over a 50-mile course to a drill site named Alaska Island where Sohio had just completed an oil well. During the tow to the island, headwinds over 30 knots were encountered, and snow and ice buildup were also factors. Regardless, the Vertol was able to bring the empty barge to the island successfully.

On the return trip to Prudhoe Bay, when this photo was taken, the barge carried 50 tons of cargo, bringing the total weight to 220 tons. As with the previous tests, this task was accomplished successfully.

This photograph is one of longtime Columbia Helicopters' photographer Ted Veal's most famous photographs. The use of a powerful telephoto lens makes it appear as though the helicopter is closer to the ice than is actually the case."

Why doesn't anything else in the picture have ice on it? And the grass in the background is green...

That's what the caption was on the photo when I found it years and years ago. I claim no knowledge of or responsibility for the contents of the photo or its title. :dunno:

That's what the caption was on the photo when I found it years and years ago. I claim no knowledge of or responsibility for the contents of the photo or its title. :dunno:
I think a better caption would be "giving the engine a good cleaning". ;)

And I think a good title for the flood picture would be something like "the Sword of Damocles". It does look like a sword with full hand guard. Of maybe "foiled again" :)

Here's one of my faves- and no, I have no idea what the story is:

Attachments

• cessna vs pickup.jpg
    cessna vs pickup.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 78
Back when airplanes were real airplane and pilots were real pilots...neither of which were encumbered with today's information overload telling them they're supposed to crash after seriously invalidating the airworthiness certificate.

This brings to mind a Simpson's quote.

Lisa: "Dad, you can't drive, your license is suspended!"
Homer: "But I can try!"
*turns key, car starts*
Homer: "It worked!"

We often times forget that a piece of paper is not what keeps cars on the road or planes in the sky.

Also, the plane landing at KIPT - flying out of that airport very frequently, I can say there is no requirement whatsoever to do a short field landing in something that small!

Great thread, I'm enjoying these pictures tremendously! :)

First of all, welcome to POA Collin! Second, great thread! I wish I had one to contribute at the moment.

A firefighter in action! -Skip

Attachments

• Firefighting.jpg
    Firefighting.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 55
Great pics! Thanks and welcome!

Collin, I didn't realize you were new to the board. Welcome!

Thanks to everyone for the entertaining pictures.

Also, the plane landing at KIPT - flying out of that airport very frequently, I can say there is no requirement whatsoever to do a short field landing in something that small!! :)

Heh, yeah

I've flown into Williamsport once or twice, and loads of times in FSX, and I can second that 9/27 is by no means a short runway :p

EDIT: Bots are stupid.

Last edited:
Some more favorites

main.php

main.php

main.php

(I think Jesse might have an explanation for the last one...:rofl: )

Top secret photo from Cessna and Piper's joint venture to attempt to put an end to the High vs Low-wing debate by finding a way to create a 'mid-wing' aircraft. Fortunately, a wife of one of the researchers was a high school biology teacher and informed the team that this was not the best way to reproduce a new model of airplane.

This was from one of our CRJ's out of IAD several years ago. They were able to abort after the turkey vulture flew in front of them on takeoff (Runway 30 I believe), but the crew needed to change shirts and aircraft before resuming the flight...
BTW - the vulture was unable to continue it's flight

Attachments

• Turkey Vulture.jpg
    Turkey Vulture.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 43
Here's a few pics I've had in my machine for a while.

Attachments

• CA8YYYZY.jpg
    CA8YYYZY.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 43
  • CAHGH8FE.jpg
    CAHGH8FE.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 44
  • CAUQV0DT.jpg
    CAUQV0DT.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 36
  • CAZME1FR.jpg
    CAZME1FR.jpg