Not quite as good as a certain 172

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Went to FL 180 on a trip to WWW this morning. Maybe some day the Frankenkota will surpass the famed 172 but it wasn't to be today.

Only 17,000 on the trip back. Was low on O2 so didn't go to 190. Need a mask rather than the cannula anyway. Didn't see a lot since the blazing yellow orb was sorta hidden.

Lots of mountain wave to work through - nothing scary though - BTDT. Will have to see if any of the picts taken with the Ipad are worth looking. The real time view was incredible.

Last edited:
Here's one pict. Lennies, broken crud, and mountains. Good to be above 'em.

Attachments

• photo33.JPG
    photo33.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Nice picture! How long did it take to get up there? Impressive.

Nice picture! How long did it take to get up there? Impressive.

The 'kota climbs about 500 fpm steady in cool/cold air or low MSL air.

Departed from 5,500 MSl and had to muck around the Denver Bravo for awhile. I spent about 45 minutes climbing and waiting to climb.

Coming back was more fun. Climb as fast as I wanted and then direct RAMMS on the RAMMS FIVE. Denver Approach didn't quite slam me down but they sure wanted me low before crossing the north departure corridors of DEN. I did my best to oblige them but it was a bit bumpy and I was mindful of Va. No real problem in a Cherokee since it probably won't make the yellow arc even when pointed straight down with throttle at idle. Okay, I jest just a bit.

You would probably be lying on the side of one of the pictured mountains at 9k. :eek:

Yup, those are the hills west of Walden and they top out at over 13,000. The broken layer was interesting. I could see Walden when overhead and Laramie in the distance. A couple options if the noisemaker got quiet..

Last edited:
Wow. And I am yet to go higher than 9k

Highest I've been in a piston is 17,500 in a Navajo, when I was doing it pretty much to say I did. Navajos aren't happy up there. You kinda sit there wondering "What on earth am I doing up here?"

Although I've done FL270 in the turbines, and in those it seems more logical. But turbines like it up there, as do certain pistons - but not the Navajo.

You made FL180 in a 172? Gotta know how it's equipped....

I'm making an 8-hr roundtrip tomorrow solo, so I'll have the chance to let it climb as much as it wants and I'll see what I can get. I've got a 2001 172R with IO360 and FP, should be able to make 15 solo and light on fuel with enough time...

You made FL180 in a 172? Gotta know how it's equipped....

I'm making an 8-hr roundtrip tomorrow solo, so I'll have the chance to let it climb as much as it wants and I'll see what I can get. I've got a 2001 172R with IO360 and FP, should be able to make 15 solo and light on fuel with enough time...

180hp O360 w/ a powerflow exhaust and a little guy (155) in the left seat. I actually made FL190.

Hehehehe, I'm gonna miss that 172. I wonder if I will be able to get the Mooney up that high?

You should. The Mooney has a long, laminar flow wing that is happy up at altitude. I regularly flew the old F model to 11,000 ft. It trued out about the same there as lower, and about the same climb rate. The only reason I never went higher was because I didn't have an O2 setup.

went fl220 on a cirrus. trued out at about 210 KTAS and I was climbing at about 1000 fpm.

With 02 but without pressurization it just doesn't feel right going that high.

Back