Not Flying Yet...

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
But soon! I am going to start lessons again last weekend in May/first weekend in June, if everything stays the same. I am SO excited! Anyone have any tips for a new student pilot getting ready to get back into the game? I haven't flown since the third week of March, and I am going to be flying a completely different plane with a completely different CFI. Should I be expecting to basically start over?!

And a picture of my morning, because if you go to the ocean and it's a beautiful flying day, and you can't fly...
0517201036_HDR.jpg

At least the wings are on the bottom, where they are supposed to be, I will sit back and enjoy the show now!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

It does look like a dolphin. It's supposed to be a plane. :) And I could not for the life of me figure out how to make a high wing...sand sculpture is obviously not my forte. But it was fun. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

I've never seen the Flying Dolphin, but maybe it gives rides and so would need a flipper walk? LOL

I dunno they look like flippers to me. so does a dolphin have flippers but a flying dolphin has wings?

According to Wolfgang Langeweische (Stick and Rudder) all planes have "flippers".

It looks like a Cirrus to me.

Whatever it is , I am sure Brian with a Y can rent it out

To answer your question, expect the new CFI to briefly go back to square one to evaluate what you have assimilated....that will give him or her a basis on which to move forward. For me, the first session with you would be more of an airplane ride than a teaching opportunity...it would give me the opportunity to see how smooth you are with control movements, how well you maintain altitude in level flight and in turns, etc. As I am sure you are aware, good instructors use a syllabus that lays out a building-block method of learning, and the new CFI needs to know how many of those blocks you have already mastered.

Bob Gardner

Jeez, you all are a tough crowd! Good thing I don't have an artistic interest in that poor thing! It would make a good candidate, though, for Bryan's budget rental place. The empennage is sorely out of alignment and one wing is larger than the other...whatever it is. LOL

And thanks, Bob! I kinda figured that, but it's nice to have that confirmed - and I like having an idea of what to expect. :)

For the flying part, I don't think you'll be starting over, but you will have to review things you've already done. My only advice is don't get frustrated and stay relaxed. Many people hit a plateau, just work through it if it happens. You will mess up, shake it off, and move forward, just like you'll have to do when you screw up solo. Listen to and do what the instructor asks. Keep up with the book work, and review maneuvers mentally before the lesson.

For the flying part, I don't think you'll be starting over, but you will have to review things you've already done. My only advice is don't get frustrated and stay relaxed. Many people hit a plateau, just work through it if it happens. You will mess up, shake it off, and move forward, just like you'll have to do when you screw up solo. Listen to and do what the instructor asks. Keep up with the book work, and review maneuvers mentally before the lesson.

Thanks, Paul! I am actually kind of excited to go through the stuff I've already done and see how well (or not...) I retained it. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but am thinking I will be pretty rusty!

I've started and stopped with several CFIs in the past. My experience has been consistent with @bobmrg said in that my first flight with a new CFI was more of an airplane ride than a teaching experience. They've always talked to me on the ground about my previous training and - importantly - the time since my last training, and then put me in the airplane to see what I could do. The CFI has always been in evaluation mode and not substantive teaching mode. That changes with flight no. 2, but flight no. 1 will feel a lot like a disco flight in my experience.

Is that a chute pack?

No idea! Does a side view help?! I was going for a generic low-wing aircraft, but apparently my subconscious tastes are a lot fancier. LOL
0517200942a_HDR.jpg

No idea! Does a side view help?! I was going for a generic low-wing aircraft, but apparently my subconscious tastes are a lot fancier. LOL

Shaped like a Cirrus, but the landing gear fell off.

So...if Paul says it looks like a Cirrus without a landing gear, and eman says it looks like a flying dolphin chasing sticks...does a Cirrus look like a flying dolphin chasing sticks when seen from above?

So...if Paul says it looks like a Cirrus without a landing gear, and eman says it looks like a flying dolphin chasing sticks...does a Cirrus look like a flying dolphin chasing sticks when seen from above?
clearly!

ha ha, I think it's an adorable little cirrus!

I would expect that based on conversation the instructor will find a point or two that you will go up to "work on"...might be landings, might be steep turns...they will probably try to teach something.....they can't help it, its what they do.
but as the others have already said I think it'll be more of a review the basics and get to know you kind of ride.
If it's a different CFI in the same school there will probably be more carry over in method, familiarity of where you are, etc... but still the same "get to know you" portion

that said...my only advice is to try to hold onto an open mind. I don't remember how far along in training you are, but if you're very far along its a safe bet there will be at least some little thing that this instructor tells you to do that at least in your mind seems opposite from the way your your last instructor had you doing it.
If that something is something that clicked for me, something I 'liked', then it can be hard for me to let it go....then while I wrestle with that concept it kinda throws off my game. Better I think just to accept it and sort it out in your mind later.

Thanks for all the advice, Brad! I'm pretty new - I only have 10 hours - but I am sure there will still be at least a little something or two that will be different! It's a completely different CFI, a completely different plane (high wing to low wing), at a different airport (not completely different as it is still a small one). It sounds daunting written that way. If I wasn't looking forward to being able to fly again so much, that would probably make me a little nervous. LOL

Back