Not exactly an aerobatics question. . .

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
but not exactly non-aerobatic, either.

Are there minimum altitude restrictions with an FFI card as there is with SAC cards?

SAC cards are only valid when there is also waivered airspace in effect specifically for an airshow, waiving the legal minimum aerobatic altitude of 1,500' AGL, among other things. The SAC card itself does not waive any FARs, and doesn't mean you can fly when/where you want at whatever altitude your card is restricted to. The FFI card is no different. It's not a waiver, just an FAA sanctioned statement of formation competency. The min. altitudes stated in the FARs apply to all pilots unless you're in waivered airspace. But to answer your question, I don't know if FFI cards have various airshow "floors" like SAC cards do. I suspect not unless formation acro is involved, at which point a SAC card is required and covers the aerobatic activity.

Last edited:
SAC cards are only valid when there is also waivered airspace in effect specifically for an airshow, waiving the legal minimum aerobatic altitude of 1,500' AGL, among other things. The SAC card itself does not waive any FARs, and doesn't mean you can fly when/where you want at whatever altitude your card is restricted to. The FFI card is no different. It's not a waiver, just an FAA sanctioned statement of formation competency. The min. altitudes stated in the FARs apply to all pilots unless you're in waivered airspace.
Yes, understood.

But to answer your question, I don't know if FFI cards have various airshow "floors" like SAC cards do. I suspect not unless formation acro is involved, at which point a SAC card is required and covers the aerobatic activity.
Ok, thanks. I didn't initially see anything myself that addressed this during my first perusal of the FFI manual. Thanks for your thoughts, though. I do appreciate them.

Back