Not Current - Need to file IFR

Three takeoffs and landings in 90 days are not required to be PIC under IFR. They're only required to carry passengers.
Yes, and there is some doubt about whether a safety pilot is a passenger when the left seat pilot is not under the hood. That was the context.

I tend to think the "conduct of the flight" is not possible without the safety pilot during takeoff and landing, so he's not a passenger, but quite a number of folks disagree.

Three takeoffs and landings in 90 days are not required to be PIC under IFR. They're only required to carry passengers.

...which is required if you are carrying a safety pilot (non CFI/non dual). You are correct in your statement but context people...sheesh.

I know you guys know that, but student pilots presumably read these threads too.

Yes, and there is some doubt about whether a safety pilot is a passenger when the left seat pilot is not under the hood. That was the context.

I tend to think the "conduct of the flight" is not possible without the safety pilot during takeoff and landing, so he's not a passenger, but quite a number of folks disagree.
Quite a number disagree and they're correct unless the aircraft TC requires two pilots. The reason or as you say "conduct of the flight" is irrelevant.

Back