[not aviation] Mazda 3 Engine Coolant Question

ajstoner21

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
I was reading in my cars owners manual and a Chilton manual I have, and it mentioned an "FL22" type engine coolant.

I have no clue what "FL22" means, and I've gone to Autozone and an Oreilly Autoparts and no coolant bottle they sell on the floor has FL22 anywhere on it, and when I asked a cashier, they have no clue what I'm talking about.

I've also seen things that say "don't mix color types", "dont mix coolant types", I've seen an orangeish color, and a greenish color. I've seen some bottles specify for "pre 1980 vehicles", others that say "after 1990" something along those lines. Whats different between these?

Anyone have any clue what FL22 means? I called Mazda and talked to the parts department, and they just tell me its a "standard premixed coolant", but so is most everything I see.

Kind of a stupid question really, but hey... rather safe than sorry.

It's a long-life coolant used by most of the Japanese brands. (P-OAT, if that means anything to you).

Look for "long-life" and "Asian" or "Global" on the bottle.

As always, YMMV.

Talk to the dealer SERVICE guys, not parts and not counter. You want greasy fingernails.

They will almost certainly answer a brief question.

The different colors have different additives. Older green stuff isn't so great for aluminum engine blocks and radiators. And putting the wrong stuff in can eat hoses. My VW takes BLUE stuff (phosphate free Pentosin), and the previous owner put green stuff in. Changing all six hoses was a PITA, especially the water pump adapter hose.

Last edited:
A quick search reveals it is Mazda's brand of coolant. They want you to think it's something special.

A quick search reveals it is Mazda's brand of coolant. They want you to think it's something special.

Why would Chilton/Haynes do that?

Sometimes there really are differences.

My own "quick search" shows it is PHOSPHATE FREE, which is definitely something special.

Last edited:
**** I love phosphates. They clean my clothes and make my dick hard.

Why would Chilton/Haynes do that?

Sometimes there really are differences.

My own "quick search" shows it is PHOSPHATE FREE, which is definitely something special.

Ya pays your money, ya takes your chances. :dunno:

Back