"Not Allowed" Medication

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by spinnergal, Jan 22, 2006.

1. spinnergal

spinnergal Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    spinnergal
    In the springtime I suffer from some minor allergies. Years ago I found that during the worst times, taking ONE Benadryl tablet before I go to bed would help with the headaches, runny nose and itchy, red eyes, and allow me to sleep comfortably during the night. Last spring, however, I did not use Benadryl because it is a "Not Allowed Medication" (but ended up wishing I had some nights!).

My question is what exactly does not allowed mean: NEVER allowed, NOT allowed while flying, or NOT allowed within a certain time frame?

I am new in the aviation world and hopefully plan to spend many more springtimes flying. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. gismo

gismo Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iGismo
    I think the standard precaution is to allow 3-4 times the dosing interval before flying. IOW if it says to take one tablet every 4 hours, you should be OK 12-16 hours after your last dose. That's assuming that your body gets rid of about half the dose in the dosing interval and I assume this varies with different medicines and people so I wouldn't take it as gospel.

BTW there are a couple of approved histamine blockers out there which you can fly with once you've convinced yourself that you don't suffer any adverse effects on the med. Loratadine (Claritin) and I think Allegra are OK. Zertec wasn't but that may be coming if it hasn't already been put on the OK list, something I'll appreciate because I think it worked better for me. Also allowed are antihistamines delivered via nasal spray ala Flonase.

Keep in mind I'm not any kind of medical professional, just a pilot with allergies. YRMV etc.

3. Richard

Richard Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ack...city life
    I agree with Lance. The best I've found is my friend the pharmacist. We can talk freely and he would be the one to know anything about meds.

4. TeenDoc

TeenDoc Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TeenDoc
    From the AOPA website

Attached Files: