"Not Allowed" Medication

S

spinnergal

In the springtime I suffer from some minor allergies. Years ago I found that during the worst times, taking ONE Benadryl tablet before I go to bed would help with the headaches, runny nose and itchy, red eyes, and allow me to sleep comfortably during the night. Last spring, however, I did not use Benadryl because it is a "Not Allowed Medication" (but ended up wishing I had some nights!).

My question is what exactly does not allowed mean: NEVER allowed, NOT allowed while flying, or NOT allowed within a certain time frame?

I am new in the aviation world and hopefully plan to spend many more springtimes flying. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

spinnergal said:
In the springtime I suffer from some minor allergies. Years ago I found that during the worst times, taking ONE Benadryl tablet before I go to bed would help with the headaches, runny nose and itchy, red eyes, and allow me to sleep comfortably during the night. Last spring, however, I did not use Benadryl because it is a "Not Allowed Medication" (but ended up wishing I had some nights!).

My question is what exactly does not allowed mean: NEVER allowed, NOT allowed while flying, or NOT allowed within a certain time frame?

I am new in the aviation world and hopefully plan to spend many more springtimes flying. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think the standard precaution is to allow 3-4 times the dosing interval before flying. IOW if it says to take one tablet every 4 hours, you should be OK 12-16 hours after your last dose. That's assuming that your body gets rid of about half the dose in the dosing interval and I assume this varies with different medicines and people so I wouldn't take it as gospel.

BTW there are a couple of approved histamine blockers out there which you can fly with once you've convinced yourself that you don't suffer any adverse effects on the med. Loratadine (Claritin) and I think Allegra are OK. Zertec wasn't but that may be coming if it hasn't already been put on the OK list, something I'll appreciate because I think it worked better for me. Also allowed are antihistamines delivered via nasal spray ala Flonase.

Keep in mind I'm not any kind of medical professional, just a pilot with allergies. YRMV etc.

I agree with Lance. The best I've found is my friend the pharmacist. We can talk freely and he would be the one to know anything about meds.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back