"Not allowed" drugs -- how does it work?

dwalt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DWalt
I had ACL surgery last year and I was prescribed a number of medications (painkillers, zofran) that are on the "not allowed" list.

How does this affect my next medical (my current medical doesn't expire until 2017)?

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this -- figured it was easiest to ask here.

Dr. Bruce is the one to ask, but I don't think this is gonna be that big of an issue.

Most non-psychological drugs (i.e. SSRIS) that are "not allowed" items mean "flight as required crew member not allowed while the medication is in your system".

For these pain and anti-inflammatory meds, likely they just need to be noted you filled the scrip and used them, but have your knee surgeon's notes/letter detailing what he did, what he prescribed, and what the result was to explain why you were taking the meds in the first place.

But again, check with either your local AME or Dr. Bruce for the specifics.

Betcha an extra pancake at the fly-in that done right, it's a yawn for the AME and FAA.

I've had 4 shoulder surgeries, one elbow surgery and one knee surgery since 2000 (yeah, getting old sucks) and each time took post-op pain meds. While on the meds I didn't fly but wasn't in physical condition to do so even for awhile after taking the pain meds. Reported on next DE meeting and it wasn't even met with a shoulder shrug.

Not an AME - my take on a lot of the "not allowed" drugs is that they can't be in your system while flying (like a narcotic painkiller), and they can't be for treating an illness that blows up if you stop taking them (like psych meds).

You self ground until after the drugs should have any effect (I usually go to to three times the active drug period). As far as your medical you report the stuff. So long as you still aren't on any of the stuff it shouldn't be a big issue.

You don't report medications you are no longer taking. You do report the Medical condition (ACL Repair). It helps if you can say you have recovered well with no restrictions to activity.

You self ground until after the drugs should have any effect (I usually go to to three times the active drug period).
When I asked the FAA Regional Flight Surgeon, she said twice the dosage interval. When I asked Bruce Chien, he said five times. :dunno:

As far as your medical you report the stuff.
There is no requirement to list in the medications block any drugs you aren't currently taking. However, you do have to report the surgery by checking the appropriate box and giving a brief description of the surgery in the space below; any meds you took at that time would only come up in the discussion with the AME of that event.

So long as you still aren't on any of the stuff it shouldn't be a big issue.
Agreed.

I had a total knee replacement last year, just a week after I renewed my class 3. They gave me enough drugs to run a small Burning Man. I wanted more!

After about 3 weeks of hell and 3 months of misery I'm stronger, faster, and better than I was.

Hopefully this operation won't be a big deal on my next FAA medical exam.

I had to have surgery on a kidney, 2 days before my medical. The FAA wanted to see 10 days off pain meds before I could get approved for my second class. I don't remember the specific pain killer used, but I'm telling ya, it worked.!! So after a day I took my self off pain pills. I didn't have to report the medication, just the surgery.

I had a total knee replacement last year, just a week after I renewed my class 3. They gave me enough drugs to run a small Burning Man. I wanted more!

After about 3 weeks of hell and 3 months of misery I'm stronger, faster, and better than I was.

Hopefully this operation won't be a big deal on my next FAA medical exam.

Jim.... from Austin.... Sure we can't nickname you "Steve" and promote you to Colonel? Hook you up with a gal named Jamie? And a boss named Oscar?

(All the really young kids here are going... huhhh? I don't get the reference)

Jim.... from Austin.... Sure we can't nickname you "Steve" and promote you to Colonel? Hook you up with a gal named Jamie? And a boss named Oscar?

Don't forget the dog "Max" (Maxamillion).

The "really young kids" wouldn't get that it's a "reference" to anything. Just reads like you're smoking crack. Again.

Oh.. I get it now. Reference to the old guy that used to be on that old Tv show.... The Big Valley...:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2: :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back