@#%)*(&)@#%*(&@#% Not again!!! (bad weather moving in...)

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Almost EVERY TIME I plan a flight to AGC...the weather goes south right before the trip when it looks great before hand...

KMTN TAF
From 00:00Z conditions will be: winds variable at 03 knots , visibility greater than 6 miles, clouds scattered at 25000 ft

From 08Z to 12Z conditions may occasionally become: visibility 3 miles

From 13:00Z conditions will be: winds from 170 at 05 knots , visibility greater than 6 miles, clouds scattered at 3000 ft

*sigh*

I've never been so tempted to scud run... Especially since...
Terminal Forecast for KAGC
Issued on the 20th at 17:24 zulu
Valid on the 20th from 18Z to 18Z the next day

The initial forecast is: winds from 070 at 04 knots , visibility greater than 6 miles, clouds scattered at 5000 ft

From 00:00Z conditions will be: winds from 080 at 03 knots , visibility greater than 6 miles, sky clear

From 14:00Z conditions will be: winds from 160 at 05 knots , visibility greater than 6 miles, clouds few at 4000 ft

Oh well, have to wait and see...

That's why you need to come over from the dark side, Chuck! 3,000 or 13,000 is all the same to us helo drivers -- we get nosebleeds above 1000 AGL :D

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wanna do the MTN - AGC run in a helo tho...

The $150+ hr price tag would kill me! :)

im unfamiliar with the area. are there major obstacles down low that make a 3000 foot scattered layer a no go?

There's terrain, Tony. We flew over some of it a year ago bringing the R44 back from LA. I was clearing the ridges by around 200' and below the clouds by maybe 300' at times. I don't think I'd want to try that in an airplane! Of course, I am a big chicken :yes:

2,000 is probably ok heading west till about Frederick. Then it gets hilly.

I'd been planning to do the trip at 8,500...

But its wait and see now. It may be done at 0...but with 4 wheels.

gotcha, thanks. you must understand you are talking to a flatlander. chuck of course the best thing is to just wait till the morning for the updated forecasts. seems like the fog burning off (3000 sct) could be something easy to climb above though.

gotcha, thanks. you must understand you are talking to a flatlander. chuck of course the best thing is to just wait till the morning for the updated forecasts. seems like the fog burning off (3000 sct) could be something easy to climb above though.

Yea... the bumpy rocks out here are hard to get use to when you're a flat-lander. (I still identify as being a transplaned Michigander)There's been many time it would have been flying weather here had the rocks not been in the way.

Missa

Yes it does get a bit mountainous on this side of Pennsylvania. Let me know if you make it here Chuck. I'd buy lunch. I'm taking classes here at AGC

Chuck, it's time to up the ticket!

Since Tony's idea of terrain is corn stalk stubble, you can invite him along to see real scenery and for a long IR lesson.

:rofl: That was my take. What could be wrong with 3 miles and 3000 feet? That's barely scud running to us.

:rofl: That was my take. What could be wrong with 3 miles and 3000 feet? That's barely scud running to us.

That's 'cause most of the airports are in the vallys, you may have 3000 feet at the airport but the rocks around it are much higher. Man, there's one airport where you can't decent till your on final, if you start your decent on downwind you'll hit the gound before you get to the airport. That airport really needs right traffic.

Sounds like you need to sign up with PIC and work with Ron to get your instrument rating....

To me, the occasional 3 mile vis is more worrisome than 3,000 scattered. Scattered should leave you plenty of room to climb up on top. Then, just *know* where the CAVU weather is and have more than enough fuel to get there.

Chuck, I hope you have a fun and educational flight. :yes:

Chuck, it's time to up the ticket!

Since Tony's idea of terrain is corn stalk stubble, you can invite him along to see real scenery and for a long IR lesson.

Not that IFR isn't on the table to get finally finished soon, but..

.. the AI was reported to be acting a bit funny by another pilot in the club. A new one has been ordered, but for now, the club plane is VFR only until next week.

The more I think about the TAFs, the more I think they're talking about morning light fog burning off.

Oh, but any fog at 3k ft isn't fog, its clouds. :)

Chuck, you have an IFR pilot ready to go with you to AGC anytime you need. Just get in touch with me. I'm now checked out at JYO too so have access to some additional airplanes.

Chuck

I share your pain....

It best clear off around PHF tomorrow, I had to pass leaving today since Mary could not get off work. KILG-KPHF Sunday PHF-W95-KCRE (wx looking better)

Trying to finish the ground school portion of the IR...just not fast enough!

Well the vis forecast is improved, so I'm destressing now. :)

Yeah I am glad you asked and got a good answer. I was kinda thinking what a wuse, but now I understand and agree with the no-go decision.

I did an hours of wings training a few years ago out in San Diego. Funny as heck, the CFI pulls the throttle when I am surrounded by mountains and says "of midwest farm boy lets see if you can land this baby out here where we have bumps" Had to precision land without power, there was none of that 'can't make this field I'll try the next. You had to hit the aim spot. It was a good lesson.

AGC is a nice airport... I got checked out there and took my family flying while I was in the area visiting them a few weeks ago. I'm also a flat-lander, so it was strange for me to land at an airport with an 1150' elevation. Also, it's on top of a hill, so it was strange for me to try to judge and ajust my altitude on base with the ground being so far below where the runway is.

Back