Not a good year for pets

Stevel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stevel
We lost another one yesterday. Our mostly-indoor cat went exploring and lost a fight with a car. My wife had the misfortune of finding him and she had a pretty rotten day grieving him and beating herself up for not preventing it.

This comes just a few weeks after having to put down both of our geriatric dogs just a couple of weeks apart. I'm starting to think that we should limit our pets to the fish and turtles in the pond, as we don't get so attached to them.
________
No2 Vaporizer

Last edited:
Sorry, Steve.

I'm thinking we're getting close...

Pancho, in the week or so prior to going in the Pet Resort was spryer than I've ever seen her. She's been jumping in and out of the car and yard on her own. I always had to carry her in and out.

Pick her up after 3 whole nights for Oshkosh. "We wondered what we do if she died while she was here."

She was a suffocating limp sack of meat.

I'm suspecting they gave up and let her spit out her pills.

After I forced her to take her medicine and upped the dose, she's back - mostly - breathing and sleeping well - but she's got a upset stomach and still won't eat. I called the vet and got the advice to tempt her back to food.

She's really, really skinny- not rolling tub she was when we met.

If I put her up for a whole week next year she may very well not survive.

Last edited:
We lost another one yesterday. Our mostly-indoor cat went exploring and lost a fight with a car. My wife had the misfortune of finding him and she had a pretty rotten day grieving him and beating herself up for not preventing it.

This comes just a few weeks after having to put down both of our geriatric dogs just a couple of weeks apart. I'm starting to think that we should limit our pets to the fish and turtles in the pond, as we don't get so attached to them.

I am deeply sorry for your loss. We love our pets and when we lose them it can be very painful. You should search for the poem called, "The Rainbow Bridge" It may ease your pain.

Steve, I'm sooooo sorry. :( They really do have a special place in our hearts and it hurts so much when they're gone.

After the last kitty died in my arms a few years ago, I swore I'd never get another cat again...it hurts toooooo much to lose them. But, we weakened and now have two more kitties that make our lives more rich.

What???? What happened to her?

Mike, getting them to eat can be tough

Sorry, Steve.

I'm thinking we're getting close...

Pancho, in the week or so prior to going in the Pet Resort was spryer than I've ever seen her. She's been jumping in and out of the car and yard on her own. I always had to carry her in and out.

Pick her up after 3 whole nights for Oshkosh. "We wondered what we do if she died while she was here."

I'm suspecting they gave up and let her spit out her pills.

After I forced her to take her medicine and upped the dose, she's back - mostly - breathing and sleeping well - but she's got a upset stomach and still won't eat. I called the vet and got the advice to tempt her back to food.

If I put her up for a whole week next year she may very well not survive.

We ended up cooking for our dogs for the last several months. I would joke at work about my lunch being left-over dog food because that was exactly what it was. For the last week or two with the second dog to go, we actually had to hand feed her a bite at a time so that she would accept the food as a "treat" since she wasn't really feeling the hunger.
________
Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited:
What???? What happened to her?

She had to go 3 nights without me managing her medication.

Bulldogs are mutants - the result of human experimentation gone badly. Her nose gets congested and can't breathe or sleep. It's sleep apnea. She gurgles until I get enough stuff in her to clear it up.

She has had a few bouts of tummy troubles and refusing to eat. I'm going to be treating her to cold cuts and salmon.

She will be fine. I just dunno how I can leave her longer unless I board her with a vet.

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments

Losing the cat was sad, but the real painful part for me was being 25 miles away when my wife called and not being able to give her very much comfort over the phone. I made it home in 17 minutes, but it felt like hours.

Our one remaining mammalian pet is a 14 year old cat who is presently being spoiled beyond belief. I'm sure that we will get more dogs and cats, but sometimes it doesn't seem like the brightest idea.
________
COLORADO DISPENSARY

Last edited:
My mom started out with around 8 cats. She loves animals. Over the past year she's lost half of them to an unknown source, we think a coyote.

Sorry for your loss steve. Kitties are interesting creatures in the fact that they enrich our lives with their never ending curiosity and playfulness however just like every animal, it comes to an end. Most times it's at an unexpected moment. You just have to remember the good times and know that you gave it the happiest of homes.

A big hug from Tinkerbell *our cat* and her humans.

I'm sorry, Steve. My dog just went through surgery yesterday - I have a feeling the biopsy on the tumor they removed will come back malignant.

When it comes to dogs and cats anything over 3 is eccentric. Speaking of eccentric I'm certain you'll be glad to hear that Monty the Python is doing just fine. Mooking about looking for mice just now, which I need to get him (or her, hard to tell with pythons). My wife had a real scare with Moogie the Shi-tzu (damn censorship algorithms), as she started to wee often and even had her first liquid accident in many years. Shi-tzus are subject to genetically caused renal dysfunction, a symptom of which is increased urination. I insisted that the sudden onset suggested a urinary tract infection, which she probably picked up at the vet's (another $350, thank you). Nice to be right. They still want to check her urine, I imagine for amino acids and peptides, to check for early stage renal failure. Wouldn't surprise me, the little one has never really had a dog's energy.

It's tough - Apple, our 12 year old Pyr mix, died on July 5, eight days after first being seen with cancer. I'm trying desperately to not think about whether I should have done this or should have done that or should have seen something earlier. It wouldn't have mattered, though - the cancer she had wouldn't have responded to chemo anyway. :(

Sorry you've lost so many critters, lately. They fill our hearts then they break 'em.

Google/look/advertise for bulldog owners in your area... Paying a fellow owner who understands their needs the amount you would give the kennel will likely solve everything and gain new friends with common interests - get cracking you have less than a year left...

denny-o

Google/look/advertise for bulldog owners in your area... Paying a fellow owner who understands their needs the amount you would give the kennel will likely solve everything and gain new friends with common interests - get cracking you have less than a year left...

denny-o

I might be forced to travel this very weekend for work.

I called the vet to see if they know a vet that does boarding. Nope. I was blaming myself, thinking I just needed to emphasize what pill is what and how important it is and such as give more if she's having trouble breathing. One thing the receptionist said, "Why would you send her back to the place that almost let her die?" Doh! They recommended a kennel that's closer that other client use.

I decided that my job doesn't get to tell me I'm not allowed to have a dog. (they already decided we all must have personal cars. Another story.) If I'm late, Owell.

Back