Northern route to cross the Rockies

Dr. O

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
denny
This has been discussed in the past but I'm not finding it with a quick search.

Considering a small sight seeing flight from Michigan, basically crossing the Northern end of the Rocky mountains by jumping across Lake Michigan following I-90 West to Sheridan Wy, then Bozeman, Butte, Missoula, Coeur D'Alene and then down the Pacific Coastline. Then chugging on home.

Anyway, seems I remember an opinion that September was the better month for jumping the Rockies - ?
This is in a clapped out old Apache flown by a clapped out old pilot.
No turbo and no O2 (though I could rent a set)
There are many topics that I am experienced with, but time of year and weather in the Rockies is not one of those :D

When I was delivering normally aspirated Cherokees from Vero Beach to Seattle in the summer months that's the route I took except that I went by way of Porter County, IN instead of across the lake (relatives).

Bob Gardner

Crossed them a few times, never used o2 or broke 9k, follow the roads, know which way the wind is blowing, fly during the day and don't mess with it if you got over 25kts at the peaks.

...except that I went by way of Porter County, IN instead of across the lake (relatives).

Bob Gardner

Ha,ha I learned to fly at Porter County back in 1969, grew up in Valpo.

As for the Rockies, we took the I-90 route back from Oshkosh one year and got all the way to Butte before deciding to make a dash back to California. Mostly because we were tired after two weeks on the road (or in the air I guess). There's a lot of threading passes to do from Butte to the northwest coast but beautiful country. As far as season goes, probably doesn't matter much this year as there's basically no weather out west. You're biggest problem will be dodging thunderstorms in the east.

Early September is usually pretty nice in Montana. The tourists are gone and the weather ranges from tolerable to very nice.

When I did my trip I wasn't above 8500. BIL Missoula, Flathead Lake, GPI directish COE

Marias Pass between Cut Bank & Kalispel is the lowest pass across the continental divide in the northern Rockies, FWIW. That's the route of US hwy #2 and Jim Hills Great Northern Railway.

Marias Pass between Cut Bank & Kalispel is the lowest pass across the continental divide in the northern Rockies, FWIW. That's the route of US hwy #2 and Jim Hills Great Northern Railway.
And a spectacular route it is, too. US Highway 2 through the pass forms the southern border of Glacier National Park. I flew that route westbound at 10,500' in an O-320 powered Grumman Cheetah on a clear, calm day. No problem.

Browning Mt. looking west thru the pass.

Attachments

• Trip 2010 NY DC 044.jpg
    Trip 2010 NY DC 044.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Trip 2010 NY DC 046.jpg
    Trip 2010 NY DC 046.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 12
Don't parts of the Rockies occasionally get snow in Sept?
The key word there is "occasionally". They will get snow then the storm will move on. September is probably the nicest month. The summer thunderstorms are gone and the truly big storms haven't arrived yet.

Don't parts of the Rockies occasionally get snow in Sept?

We get snow any time of the year. Colorado ski areas were getting snow well into May. I've driven I-70 back from California in August and coming over the Vail Pass, I was driving thru slush.

This has been discussed in the past but I'm not finding it with a quick search.

Considering a small sight seeing flight from Michigan, basically crossing the Northern end of the Rocky mountains by jumping across Lake Michigan following I-90 West to Sheridan Wy, then Bozeman, Butte, Missoula, Coeur D'Alene and then down the Pacific Coastline. Then chugging on home.

Anyway, seems I remember an opinion that September was the better month for jumping the Rockies - ?
This is in a clapped out old Apache flown by a clapped out old pilot.
No turbo and no O2 (though I could rent a set)
There are many topics that I am experienced with, but time of year and weather in the Rockies is not one of those :D

No sense going into Sheridan Wy. Spear fish S.D. direct Billings avoids a lot of tall rocks. and there is good highway under you all the way across the Blackfoot res.

Back