Northern lights from another angle.

Very nice. How did this end up in the SZ? Any chance it could be moved to Hangar Talk where it can be appreciated by those who will not venture here?

I have to start paying more attention to what I'm doing. Since I've retired, it hasn't been all that necessary. I guess I'm just going to pot in my old age.

If a Moderator would move it, I'd be appreciative. I have noticed that if I post SZ material in other forums, it gets moved over here post haste, but it does not work going the opposite direction too well.

-John

I've never seen material posted in the Zone ever escape to the outside world.

Wow, that was really cool. Thanks for posting! Kyle

What I found just as interesting was all the electrical/thunderstorm activity.

Just awesome .... that vid went viral in about 30 seconds.

A number of things are in your face in that video...
First, for an amateur astronomer (aka sky peeper) like me, the night time light pollution is everywhere - arrrggh!

Second, our planet is gorgeous - too bad we are using it for a cesspool...

Third, we are horribly overpopulating this planet...

Fourth, the amount of lightning energy is immense...
There are 100 lighting strokes per minute - 24/7 - around the world...
The electrical generation capacity of the United States is 1.197 Terrawatts at any given instant...
The energy liberated by a major stroke is just under 1 Terrawatt (940 Gigawatts) and is released in 30 milliseconds... So each major stroke emits almost the electrical generator capacity of this country - and that occurs 100 times a minute... (not all strokes are at max power)

In the end, when we have burned all the fossil fuels, wind and photocells will not power the world we will have to develop the technology to harvest that lightning energy...
I can foresee airships (ahaaaa, back on topic - no SZ for me) floating inside of the developing cells and bleeding the electrical current down to ground collectors before it can be dissipated as a strike...

Back