Northern Light Show tonight

ClimbnSink

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
The sun is all mad or something. Northern lights are supposed to be viewable way down south in CT and IA. Being an idiot I'm trying to figure the best time to take a look. People that make websites about astronomy do not do a good job of dumbing them down for nonastro inclined people.:D

Too bad the moon is still pretty bright tonight, but comes up a little late....9:24 PDT

I have seen northern lights as far south as southeast Texas, real low in the northern horizon. Real funny because people were calling 911 and asking if there was another terrorist attack going on.

I lived in Alaska for 7 years and never got tired of seeing the lights.

On the other side of the arctic circle, one summer in Kotzebue, Ak a single cloud came over the village. It let out on big bolt of lightning. BOOOM.!!!Vary rare in this area. Kids ran home crying, adults hid under cars and people called the radio station asking if a bomb went off.

Last edited:
Not tonight here. Heavy overcast. I don't think I've ever seen them. Some day...

I have seen them in northern Arkansas, but it has been a few years ago.

Let's hope ...

The chance for seeing the northern lights Friday night in Oregon just got a big boost, says Oregon's resident planetary expert, Jim Todd, director of space science education for OMSI.

The index used to measure the possibility, the so-called KP index, soared to 8 at around 5 p.m.

"OK, auroras for Oregon tonight," Todd texted at 5:15 p.m.

Earlier Friday, the forecast for viewing in Oregon and for others in the mid-latitudes of North America dimmed when the solar storm responsible for the viewing apparently diminished.

But later Friday, the solar storm picked up, Todd said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...ern_lights_jim_todd_of_om.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Was a bust from a southern MA beach. No Ebola Borealis for me.

Was a bust from a southern MA beach. No Ebola Borealis for me.

Same here....

Still crystal clear and 36f... Moon just rose over the eastern ridgeline.. 3/4 full and VERY bright... Washed out any chance of seeing the northern lights...:mad:

Back