Northern Illinois Avionics Recomendations

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I think I am finally just going to go ahead and have a 430W installed. Since I am getting some life insurance money I will direct it that upgrade instead of saving it. I saved all the money form when my mom died and this time I would like to be a little frivolous and also help the economy.

So any PoAers have a recommendation on who does good work up in N. Illinois for this type of install?

I usually have Mobile Mike do my avionics work and will be asking him for a quote already.

"The Avionics Place" at RFD....

Just shop it around to several shops. Be specific in what you want and get written quotes. Also specify a timeline for getting the work done.

We always had good, fair $ service from avionics place @ RFD on the Skylane

They do have a reputation for being expen$ive, but that it's in return for good solid work and excellent customer service. You get what you pay for.

Very true. Avionics is not something to try to cut corners on. I have done business in the past with JA buying avionics but not install work. Everything I have bought from them has been fair priced and good quality.

FWIW, you may want to consider a 530. I installed a 530 in my Skymaster along with a GDL-69 for XM weather and also installed a GTX-330 transponder so I get traffic on the 530 display.

The 530 is a little more money but the display makes it worthwhile. Another option is the 430 with a MX20 display. To save a little money you can buy the equipment used and certified. A good avionics shop like JA will stand behind the equipment they sell you.

Mobile Mike installed the PMA7000B in my Cherokee.

I've had JA do some trouble-shooting on the KX-155 and OBS/GS, as well as replace an altimeter and DG.

I have been quite happy with both.

I usually have Mobile Mike do my avionics work and will be asking him for a quote already.

Mobile Mike installed the PMA7000B in my Cherokee.

I've had JA do some trouble-shooting on the KX-155 and OBS/GS, as well as replace an altimeter and DG.

I have been quite happy with both.
Good to know.

Mike has done a radio antenna repair for me and two transponder checks. I know he put in a 430W for Jim Fellers at 3Ck as well.

FWIW, you may want to consider a 530. I installed a 530 in my Skymaster along with a GDL-69 for XM weather and also installed a GTX-330 transponder so I get traffic on the 530 display.

The 530 is a little more money but the display makes it worthwhile.

True, if you have the money. I've got a lot of time behind a 430 and I didn't think the 530 was much more than a bigger screen and auto-ID of VOR's (it listens to the morse for you, and after decoding it, displays the identifier on screen by the frequency). But I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's got quite a bit more, including a MUCH nicer default nav page.

I hear that Mr. 24 at 6Y9er has a wicked set of tools and fixes TV antenas pretty well.

I'd recommend the Radio Ranch in Sterling/Rock Falls. They do excellent work and are very honest.

Anyone heard anything about Radio Ranch in Sterling, IL?

I know a guy who has all the work on his 4 airplanes done at Radio Ranch. He's comfortable with them. They've installed several 430's and 530's for him, with WAAS, etc.

If you need a number to call for his own comments, let me know.

Also consider Greg Vail at Bloomington Avionics. They aren't cheap, but if something fritzes just after they touched it, they will make it right.

My plane will be in the avionic hospital undergoing a GPS-ectomy starting next week while I am away traveling. I am getting the 430W and will be selling my KLN90B and switch. If anyone is interested in the 90B drop me a line. It works great and is an IFR GPS.

Just an FYI I had Mike at Mobile Avionics at 3CK do the install. He and Matt did a great job. No problems what so ever and everything was finished on time and was in working order. Mike has worked on my plane before. Matt was a mechanic at 10C and had done a lot of work on my plane as well. I felt good letting those two guys have at it and I was not disappointed.

Pictures soon.

Back