Northern California complex / commercial training

pericynthion

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pericynthion
I have about 400 hours total time, PP, IR, complex and high performance endorsements. I've flown plenty of looong cross countries. I want to get my commercial certificate and CFI, to improve my proficiency and to be able to teach my friends.

I can't afford to take more than the occasional day off work for this, so I'll have to mostly train at weekends. I'm not in any huge hurry.

Looking at 61.129(a), I meet all the requirements except 61.129(a)(3)(ii) and (a)(3)(iv), i.e. 10 hours of training in a complex airplane and 3 hours of prep for the test.

I have about 40 hours of complex time (and another 100 in an EZ with retractable gear but no flaps or variable prop) but only 3.1 of those complex hours were with a CFI and logged as training. So I'm missing nearly 7 hours of complex training.

Any recommendations for cheap complex rental and instruction in northern CA? Neither of the clubs I'm affiliated with has a complex aircraft. I'm based in the Bay area but I don't mind going pretty far afield for a good rental rate since I can fly there in my EZ, so pretty much anywhere in the northern half of CA or the nearer parts of NV would be okay.

Alternatively, if anyone knows a way to avoid the requirement for 10 hours of complex training, that would be nice. But I'm not seeing it in the regs.

Check with Skywalk out of KSAC. That is where I am getting my PPL. Speak with Mari... they are very good people!

Last edited:
Check out Aclan Pro Air in HWD. Pretty reasonable cost being in the Bay Area.

Thanks for the hints. I'm also going to check out Aerodynamic Aviation at RHV, they have a 172RG for 126/hr block rate.

Looking through my logbook, I also notice that I still need the 2-hour, 100nm straight-line dual cross country. This despite having flown clean across the US as PIC on two occasions, both west to east and north to south. Go figure... at least I can combine that with the 7 hrs complex training.

Thanks for the hints. I'm also going to check out Aerodynamic Aviation at RHV, they have a 172RG for 126/hr block rate.

Looking through my logbook, I also notice that I still need the 2-hour, 100nm straight-line dual cross country. This despite having flown clean across the US as PIC on two occasions, both west to east and north to south. Go figure... at least I can combine that with the 7 hrs complex training.

I'm flying that bird :) She is in pretty good shape, recently got GTN650 and EDM700 engine monitor. But you will have to pay $50/month or $360/year to Aerodynamic Aviation.
Another option would be Nice Air across the street. They have 2 Pipers Arrow III for $135/hour. No monthly dues.
Here is my CFII web site: FlySFBay.com
He is very nice and knowledgeable instructor.
PM me if you have any questions about those two clubs.

When I took my private pilot knowledge test at the airport in San Carlos, I think the testing center was a flight school with complex aircraft though they did not strike me as "cheap" especially because I paid close to $200 for the test when most other centers were $150.

Oh wait, I just remembered, I flew with a pilot working on his commercial - he too needed those special complex hours. I went with them in an Arrow out of Palo Alto . . . . however, we were second in line for takeoff and waited for what seemed like at least 30 minutes due to all the landings. It might be "cheap" but will waste your money due to ATC and that being one of the busiest airports.

Check with Skywalk out of KSAC. That is where I am getting my PPL. Speak with Mari... they are very good people!
Hmmm... I guess there is another Mari pilot because this isn't me. :idea:

(Meaning Mari pilots are good pilots to have around . . . argh . . . nevermind that did not come out like I wanted it to come out)

Forget everything in this thread. Contact Chris Baker. He is AirBaker on POA but I am not sure how much he is on POA these days. He is not a CFI as far I know. But he will steer you in right direction. Knowing Chris, he will likely mentor you and you could do a lot worse.

Contact Chris either through POA (doubtful) or through http://b2osh.org/

Last edited:
(Meaning Mari pilots are good pilots to have around . . . argh . . . nevermind that did not come out like I wanted it to come out)

Please, allow me to assist, if I may be so bold.

Mari is a good pilot to have around (she puts up with my pedestrian skills without complaint).

Mari is a good pilot to have around (she puts up with my pedestrian skills without complaint).

And she walks me through no flap landings when my flap motor fails and makes me realize they are not a big deal and certainly not an emergency. 10 more knots of airspeed and a flatter final approach, that's all she said, and that's all I did. Thanks Mari.

Uh, your skills in your airplane are much better than mine. I think I demonstrated that. :redface:

Some people need to be spanked into shape.

Mari holds currency as CFI. The very best CFIs I have flown with were at once able to dispense their knowledge in a relatable way and not get jumpy for my errors. That is, they remain in control and inspire confidence. Me thinks this describes Mari.

Some people need to be spanked into shape.

Mari holds currency as CFI. The very best CFIs I have flown with were at once able to dispense their knowledge in a relatable way and not get jumpy for my errors. That is, they remain in control and inspire confidence. Me thinks this describes Mari.

If I found out that Mari does BFR's (I've forgotten), I would go out of my way to schedule her for one. Only problem is, at least at my SECOND flight school, the rental agreement prohibits me from hiring a CFI from another school. I don't know if there is such a clause at the first school. I don't like to admit this, but of all the CFI's that I've had, I haven't felt good about any of them. The primary one - you all know, the one I cheated with thought men were better than women, and the new one who did my 150 checkout yells at me on short final and fights over the yoke. Mari is like a breath of fresh air.

Uh, your skills in your airplane are much better than mine. I think I demonstrated that. :redface:

I disagree. I saw you freeze the gauges. Besides, I've got about 400 more hours in my plane than you do....'nough said

If I found out that Mari does BFR's (I've forgotten), I would go out of my way to schedule her for one.
As would I.

I don't like to admit this, but of all the CFI's that I've had, I haven't felt good about any of them.
I oft wonder how many pilots share that same sentiment. I surely do. Of about 15 CFIs I have had, I think 2, maybe 3 are worth remembering. The others I do remember but in a negative sense. That sucks for the student but even more so for GA as a whole.
The primary one - you all know, the one I cheated with thought men were better than women, and the new one who did my 150 checkout yells at me on short final and fights over the yoke.
I have no compunction in saying a woman is a better pilot than me. But she, like any other CFI must prove it. That is to say, gender has no place in the cockpit. The worst 2 hour dual instruction I received was from a female CFII. That is not because of her gender but of her failure to teach.
Mari is like a breath of fresh air.
I would love to have her name in my logbook. Not that I am into collecting 'names' but that I think Mari has much she could teach me...to become a better pilot. It seems to me that such a pilot who dances between the duties of their employment and that of equipping other pilots to be better would be best suited to instill knowledge and skill in others.

Last edited:
I disagree. I saw you freeze the gauges. Besides, I've got about 400 more hours in my plane than you do....'nough said
400 hours in that aircraft and you did not "freeze the guages"...somting wrong wit you bruddah. That a 'newcomer' to that cockpit could show you up even more sumpin wrong wit you bruddah.

Hoo dat, even broken clock right twice a day. You could stable the needles? Thankfully you shown the path.

Her name is in my logbook but in a different way. With me as PIC and her as photo taking passenger in my little rental 152!

Several flights I made with Bob Dentice. Remember him? That man is a walking who's who of aviation.

One cross country flight you know what he told me? He told me I was "too abrupt" on the controls. I thought I was barely moving the yoke. I certainly was staying within 10 +/- of my alt and hdg. Yet he drilled deeper on trim and overcontrolling. This on a PA-28 with little 'slack' in the controls.

And he was right. Of course he was right. In my desire to be precise I was being inprecise.

Always higher, aviator.

Back