Northeast Ohio Flight Schools

Abernack

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Abernack
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to start on training for my private pilots license and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good flying school/club or instructor in the Cleveland area? I have been looking at websites of T&G Flying club(KCGF/KBKL), Premier Flight Academy(KBKL) and Vector Aviation(KLNN) but I can not find reviews from any former students. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to start on training for my private pilots license and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good flying school/club or instructor in the Cleveland area? I have been looking at websites of T&G Flying club(KCGF/KBKL), Premier Flight Academy(KBKL) and Vector Aviation(KLNN) but I can not find reviews from any former students. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

I know two of the CFIs at Premier, both very highly experienced. One is also an A&P/AI. The other a former flight school owner/DPE.

dtuuri

I took some recurrent training at Medina when I was working in the area and hangared there. I liked their instructors. Been a few years though and you know how instructors come and go...

Hello everyone,

Abernack - I am in Akron and learned to fly at CAK. I have been into all those airports many times, but don't know much about the local instructors. I see your are in Bay Village. Did you look into training at Lorain County airport? It is not too far from you and a very nice airport to fly in and out of. KLNN is a long way for you.
Good luck with your training.

Since my wife stopped instructing in pistons, she's been sending potential students to Tom Teracello (sp?) at Jim Long Aviation at CAK. He's been instructing forever, and have never heard a complaint.

Jim

Last edited:
Abernack - I am in Akron and learned to fly at CAK. I have been into all those airports many times, but don't know much about the local instructors. I see your are in Bay Village. Did you look into training at Lorain County airport? It is not too far from you and a very nice airport to fly in and out of. KLNN is a long way for you.

When I was working in Lorain, I hangared over at Elyria, because when I poked around at Lorain for about a 1/2 day everyone there seemed to have their noses pretty far in the air. They didn't have the time of day for me and my little 182 as they were way to busy worrying about when the next Kerosene burner might be coming to town.

Doubt that there's any flight training at Elyria though...but there was one German guy giving chopper lessons while I was there. Fun little 'drome it was.

Ortner is another fun little airport but, again, it might be too small to have flight training.

I know two of the CFIs at Premier, both very highly experienced. One is also an A&P/AI. The other a former flight school owner/DPE.
dtuuri

Dtuuri, thank you for the information about Premier, it seems like it is the leading flight school in the area and I have not heard one bad thing about it.

Jim, thank you for the reminder about Lorain. I had looked into Lorain county before but there is only one flight school and the rental rates for the aircraft seem slightly higher than elsewhere ($150/hr for a warrior).

Since my wife stopped instructing in pistons, she's been sending potential students to Tom Teracello (sp?) at Jim Long Aviation at CAK. He's been instructing forever, and have never heard a complaint.
Jim

Jim, thank you for the advice, I will look into contacting him and see if the drive there is manageable.

When I was working in Lorain, I hangared over at Elyria, because when I poked around at Lorain for about a 1/2 day everyone there seemed to have their noses pretty far in the air. They didn't have the time of day for me and my little 182 as they were way to busy worrying about when the next Kerosene burner might be coming to town.

Doubt that there's any flight training at Elyria though...but there was one German guy giving chopper lessons while I was there. Fun little 'drome it was.

Tim, thanks for the heads up about your experiences with Lorain. I have attended a pancake breakfast with the local EAA chapter at Elyria, I believe there is no one giving flight training there at the moment.

Jim
That is Tom Carosello. He taught me to fly. Your right - he has been instructing 40+ years and you won't hear any complants. I still fly with him regularly.

That is Tom Carosello. He taught me to fly. Your right - he has been instructing 40+ years and you won't hear any complants. I still fly with him regularly.

Thanks, Jim. Tom is more of a radio voice to me. 37Q spends a lot of time in the pattern at BJJ. My wife has known him a long time.

To the OP...sorry for the thread creep!

Jim

I'm a member at T&G. I did my private and instrument there. It's got good availability of both planes and instructors, especially in the winter. As you advance they've got a nice selection of higher performance planes to rent. Also, they're policies on overnight and late night rentals are great. I'm on my phone so I won't go on forever, but let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions and help everyone. I decided to go with Premier and I start on Saturday.

Back