Northeast fly-ins (crossposted)

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
Looking for suggestions for northeast fly-ins! What say we try for the weekend of November 19/20? Weather date, weekend of Dec. 3/4.

A few ideas are below. Please post some of your favorite places. Bonus points if there is a museum or other attraction on the field or in walking distance. I'm open to places I haven't been to before (will fly for food).

KGED (the crabcakes)
KACY (win lots of money to pay for airplane toys)
KEWB (New Bedford, way up by Cape Cod, great chowder)
KACK (Nantucket -- esp. the Dec. weekend, when they have their Christmas stroll)
44N (Sky Acres, cute airport, great breakfast)
KPOU (Poughkeepsie, restaurant opened and is supposed to be good)
Somewhere to the west? PA?
KFOK (Westhampton, L.I., Belle's Restaurant) (but then I have to drive) (but I'll go, anyway)
Others???

KLNS (Lancaster, PA)
KIPT (Williamsport, PA)

Both have great food, particularly KLNS, which has a first rate pilot shop as well. KIPT can sometimes be kind of hairy because of the adjacent mountain, but then so was KWWD yesterday :yes:

Another possibility is N40 (Sky Manor) which has really great burgers.

North East Arizona is Beutiful this time of year Toby.

KGON used to have a really great diner a few years ago, but went under.

KBID is a cool strip and the restuarant is decent, but the wind is usually gusty. I'll think of some more later.

Nov 20 is my birthday and I can probably convince my grandfather to hop in the Bonanza and fly-in as a nice side-birthday present :yes:

HPNPilot1200 said:
KGON used to have a really great diner a few years ago, but went under.

KBID is a cool strip and the restuarant is decent, but the wind is usually gusty. I'll think of some more later.

Nov 20 is my birthday and I can probably convince my grandfather to hop in the Bonanza and fly-in as a nice side-birthday present :yes:
I have not landed at KBID yet and would like to do that this weekend if wx permits.

Another nice place I just thought of is Columbia County, up near Albany. It's a pretty flight.

Toby said:
I have not landed at KBID yet and would like to do that this weekend if wx permits.

Another nice place I just thought of is Columbia County, up near Albany. It's a pretty flight.

My grandfather likes to go up there for lunch sometimes--sounds like a nice place. I'll ask him about it later.

Jason

a couple less well known places...

42b Goodspeed, in Connecticut on the Connecticut River, restaurant adjacent

7N8 Butter Valley eastern PA, in a golf course, restaurant

N07 Lincoln Park, NJ restaurant

always fun to explore new places.

mike21951 said:

Ah, Butter Valley. I must say I prefer coming in there in a helicopter, though:)

mike21951 said:

I'm always hearing good things about Goodspeed! It's my tiedown neighbor's favorite breakfast spot. I did fly there once. It was last winter between Christmas and New Year's. We arrived to a frozen and deserted tundra, walked around and froze our butts off, and there was absolutely nowhere to eat, so we had to fly home again. First we did a few trips around the pattern, enjoying swooping down over the river. I'd like to go back, it's a quaint spot. Very Americana.

mike21951 said:

Butter Valley 2420' of which only 1525' is asphalt - looks like a lot of fun but a bit to short for me and my rental.

Goodspeed also looks very nice but short 2120' and no fuel. They do have a 4500' x 1000' Water runway but alas no floats on the Tiger or Archer. Sigh. I really would love a tail dragger rating to get into these short strips. but no where to rent them.

KACY is about a $30 cab ride into Atlantic City. Here are some of my thoughts

1) 40N - Chester County Carlson ( Flying Machine Cafe located in SE PA) never been there heard its good
2) N14 Flying W ( located in NJ)
3) Eds suggestion for KLNS is good. Nice Restaurant great pilot shop
4) Westminster MD - The restaurant is good but VERY busy on Weekends. Not just pilots but lots of Locals.

AdamZ said:
Butter Valley 2420' of which only 1525' is asphalt - looks like a lot of fun but a bit to short for me and my rental.

Goodspeed also looks very nice but short 2120' and no fuel. They do have a 4500' x 1000' Water runway but alas no floats on the Tiger or Archer. Sigh. I really would love a tail dragger rating to get into these short strips. but no where to rent them.

KACY is about a $30 cab ride into Atlantic City. Here are some of my thoughts

1) 40N - Chester County Carlson ( Flying Machine Cafe located in SE PA) never been there heard its good
2) N14 Flying W ( located in NJ)
3) Eds suggestion for KLNS is good. Nice Restaurant great pilot shop
4) Westminster MD - The restaurant is good but VERY busy on Weekends. Not just pilots but lots of Locals.

The runway at Butter Valley slopes up. Fixed wing traffic usually lands on 34 regardless of the wind because of the upslope. (Rotary wing traffic lands on the ramp :) ).

40N has a nice restaurant -- I was most recently there a month or so ago.
Flying W isn't bad, but I don't personally care for their Sunday brunch.
Hey Adam, I think I suggested LNS! It is a very nice restaurant, and they fill up your helicopter with 100LL without you even having to ask :yes:

I've had a lot of great suggestions from both the red and blue boards and have been putting some thought into how to set up the fly-ins so we get to go to a wide range of places that cover the northeast region. At the WWD fly-in, we had people from Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and probably other states. We cover a really broad geographical area.

Adam had a terrific suggestion, and that is that we rotate states so that we hit a different state each month. Sometimes we'll be farther north, sometimes south, sometimes west. This way, everyone has a chance to visit new airports as well as old familiar airports that they love, we expand our territory, and no one is burdened with long trips all the time.

And plunked right in the middle of this state-of-the-month club will be the big Wings Fly-B-Que at Wings Field in May, already an annual tradition, hosted by Adam, griller extraordinaire.

So, what I am doing is this. I am collecting all the data on the airports with their locations, restaurants, museums, and any other features you've mentioned, and putting them into a spreadsheet. We started with NJ, so next we could go to (for example) PA, NY, MD, CT, VA, and MA. As it comes time to plan each fly-in, I'll post what state we're up to and propose a date, and you can all fight over where you want to go! We'll pick a place, and we'll go. How does that sound? Comments?

AdamZ said:

When I was in early stages of training at KLOM we used Butter Valley for short field practice in an SP, provided it was a cool day. I remember it being a bit challenging and I too don't know if I'd do it in a rental, but it's a fun place to visit.
Elizabeth

Toby.My suggestion for December is Mass. i posted here (preXmas trip to NEAM ),hope this works for everyone. Dave G.
P.S. NEAM is at BDL .

AdamZ said:
Toby your a genius! Thanks for all the hard work!
Toby, were you asking Sunday how did you got to be in charge of organizing the fly-ins? You're a natural. By the way, thanks a million for your hard work. Looking forward to the next, where ever it may be.

Shipoke said:
Toby.My suggestion for December is Mass. i posted here (preXmas trip to NEAM ),hope this works for everyone. Dave G.
P.S. NEAM is at BDL .
Dave, that looks like another good place to go. I found your other post, and I won't be able to make it either of those weekends, though (12/11 or 12/18). I could go the first weekend in Dec., or maybe end of the month after the craziness is over.

Back