Northeast Cool Places to Fly and Do Things (looking for recommnedations)

EricFlight

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EricFlight
I'll be planning on flying 1-2 flights this Summer that are places where it is easy to fly in and do something (like a mini vacay for a day).

For example, last Summer a friend and I flew to KMSV and went to the 1969 Woodstock Festival Site

Looking for recommendations in the Northeast for things like that. Let me know airport, things to see, and how transportation is available from and to the airport.

Thanks
Eric

If you like hiking, Marcy Field (1I1) in Keene, NY is right at the Porter Mountain trailhead and across from the Ausable River, which is a great place to take a dip after a hike. There's also a farmer's market there on Sundays.

Goodspeed Airport (42B) in East Haddam, CT is a short walk from the Goodspeed Opera House (musical theater) and several good restaurants. They have loaner bicycles you can use.

Katama Airport (1B2) is a grass field on Martha's Vineyard is right on the beach, and has a restaurant on the field. This is the only one on this list I have yet to get to.

From the Ocean City, NJ Airport (26N) it's a 3/4 mile walk to the beach and boardwalk, or you can take an uber to the business district a little farther north along the boardwalk.

If you're comfortable with a short rough field, you can fly into Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (NY94) in Rhinebeck, NY for the weekend airshow, but you have to call for permission and a briefing first.

There's also Bayport Aerodrome (23N) in Islip, NY; it's the last grass airport on Long Island, in a tiny notch in the Long Island Class C. Not actually a museum, but filled with antique airplanes.

The Hudson River Corridor, (or slightly higher to fly the Skyline Route under ATC control), is awesome. Take the online familiarization course first.

The Hudson River Corridor, (or slightly higher to fly the Skyline Route under ATC control), is awesome. Take the online familiarization course first.
Did this in 2021....was a religious experience...lol

PWM park at NEA rent a car at the FBO or uber spend the day in old port Portland
BXM quick walk from FBO to a couple places to eat
GFL rent a car or uber to Lake George for the day

Back