North to Alaska!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Well, July 4th, I start my 2007 Odyssey.
Here's the tenative (tentative?) route.
9d9-anc.jpg

The jump off to Seward was just so I could rubber band any changes easy. I figure I will just bite the bullet on this trip in Canada and pay whatever I need to pay on the way up in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, et al because it's not like there is a lot of choices up there. I'll spend a couple days in Alaska, then head down to Portland for a couple more days since some friends of mine relocated out there this summer.

Will probably end up tweaking stops along the way if I can get fuel price info in Canada.

Any advice in the area please advise.

Last edited:
TMetzinger said:
What are you flying?
His PA28-180.

Ed, You should be aware that along the coast below Ketchikan (the only place on earth were a bidding war over the price of fuel broke out in front of me) , it's a long way to Prince Rupert and to Sandspit and to Port Hardy there are really NO Places to land. The water is REALLY really cold, and if the coast fogs in you may be SOL.

I would break up the coast so that you always have 2 hours' fuel left (wheel equipped aircraft) and then I'd feel fine about it. Seeing Comox go by is your return to civilization. Bella bella and Annette Island are basically VFR only- very basic NDB approaches, but if you have good weather it'll be a gorgeous trip.

The up leg in the trench- you'll like St. John, it has a very "Billings, MT" feel to it.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce. It's just a rough draft at this point, and if it is anything like my 2005 trip, I don't think any of the stops will be the same as they are now except for Anchorage. LOL

Edit:

See, already making changes. :)

Last edited:
I second Bruce's advice. I went up there once in a Caravan, and I was real thankful that it had a turbine engine and floats when I was looking at the coast and how few and far between airports were. Fuel=Options.

Sorry, Tim, I don't have 12 weeks vacation to see more of Alaska. Once there, I might make it up to Fairbanks or something. Part of me wants to go to Pt Barrow, but damn, that's a long ways.

yer going right over th house, stop by if you can. lunch on me.

76S = house

N2212R said:
Sorry, Tim, I don't have 12 weeks vacation to see more of Alaska. Once there, I might make it up to Fairbanks or something. Part of me wants to go to Pt Barrow, but damn, that's a long ways.

Ok LOL

Last summer when I flew through Canada the fuel prices were $1.20-$1.45/L ($3.64-$4.40/gal). I pulled up Edmonton's fuel prices and they are currently $1.33/L so they are on par with our average fuel prices but don't expect to find cheap places.

Ed,

If One Short doesn't post make sure to e-mail her. She's made this trip and She's got lots of good advice. Also if you haven't already post it on the Babes board. There are at least two Canadians that are on the board regularly, they live in Ontario but may be able to give you some advice too.

Missa
And rememeber to post pictures and a trip log here!

Some links - be sure to register with Nav Canada to allow electronic filing of flight plans, also be familiar with Int'l Flight Plans which are used in Canada as well as required safety equipment to be carried. I'm sure you know about AOPA's resources but here are some links for you:

Canadian equivalent of FAR's - http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/publications/tp14371/GEN/menu.htm

Cdn Flight Planning - https://fileflightplan.navcanada.ca/

Cdn weather - http://www.flightplanning.navcanada...nconnu&Page=forecast-observation&TypeDoc=html

Cheapest place I've found for Cdn Charts - http://www.maptown.com/canadianaeronautical/index.html

Cdn AOPA (COPA) - http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm

Any idea of in the air time to do this trip? looks like a lot of fun.

KT

OK, pal, I'm with Tim on this one. North to Canada!

I'm somewhat...cynical about your route, even in July. Though I have to admit it looks like great fun! The Yakutat to Anchorage leg would have to be absolutely unbelievable.

Judy Parrish flew up the coast last summer too, she could possibly supplement the advice from Dr. Bruce.

N2212R said:
I'll spend a couple days in Alaska,
Oh, you'll want to spend more than just a couple days here.... you'll want to MOVE here...:yes:

I don't really have any good route advice or anything, since I've barely left the cradle of Anchorage... but I've heard that the coastal weather in southeast Alaska is very unpredictable so be sure that you're not "on a schedule" for that part of the trip. There is an "Alaska Highway" VFR route chart; find it and buy one.

I live about four blocks from Merrill Field (PAMR), and I have a nice sleeper sofa. And a cat. You're not allergic to cats are you? King crab legs are on me!

--Kath

Last edited:
EdFred, I missed stopping to see Tom & Barb D because I just didn't want to stretch that last 30 mins in my tanks from Victoria to Whidbey. Don't miss it.

bbchien said:
EdFred, I missed stopping to see Tom & Barb D because I just didn't want to stretch that last 30 mins in my tanks from Victoria to Whidbey. Don't miss it.

The hop from Ketchican to Oak Harbor is (KTN-D-> BLI) is 518 miles. and it's better to cross over south of Sand Spit and come down the mainland side, and the east side of Vancouver BC and land at BLI for fuel..... If you one leg it you'll save customs Legally but check in with them at BLI. to be safe.

AND For gods sake file a flight plan, cause there is NOBODY TO TALK TO from Ketch to Vancouver At least if you don't show up somebody will come look for the oil slick.

The water is a cool 45 degrees year around, if you do deside to fly the coast get a floation suit, they give you protection from cold, and floatation for up to a week. ( you can rent one)

What's zat trip gonna take Ed? About 6 months? :D

At least I'll actually be able to land and take off from most places!

N2212R said:
At least I'll actually be able to land and take off from most places!

In this life time?

:D

Certainly, because I won't have to divert 300 miles on every leg to find a 10000 x 150 to land at.

N2212R said:
Certainly, because I won't have to divert 300 miles on every leg to find a 10000 x 150 to land at.

LOL! I hear there may be a B-52 base up there that I MIGHT be able to get out of. :blueplane:

Seriously, that's a great trip. A friend of mine did it from Denver last year with his dad in a Cheetah. Yes, you heard right a Cheetah. He had to used JATO bottles though in many instances. Luckily we have an STC for those.

One of my personal life goals is to come up from Texas and do this trip and back in a GA. Might take a month but would be a hoot!

Ed, how long do you expect it to take you on this trip?

I am thinking:

3-4 overnights on the way up.
3-4 overnights in Alaska (wherever they may be)
2-3 overnight to Portland.
1-2 overnights in Portland.
1-2 overnights on the way home.

Throw in a another 50% for weather delays and I would say about 3 weeks.

the biggest question is is Ed going to have web access in the middle of nowhere canada to post stories and pictures or are we all going to have to wait 3 weeks to see if he lived through it?

LOL Tony.

I'm sure that Edmonton has Internet access.

N2212R said:
I would say about 3 weeks.

Ed, If you're taking 3 weeks fly the Alaska Highway up. Go to Fairbanks and at least one airport above the artic circle. You'll be so close, don't skip it, for no other reason than to just have bragging rights. Then hit Talketna and fly up Ruth Glacier up along McKinley, it is too cool. Use Merrill field in Anchorage. Then stop by Homer and if you want to fly over some really desolate territory fly direct to Seward over the Harding Ice Fields.

In Canada, Ft. St. John had an unposted landing fee when I was there(5 yrs ago) Dawson Creek is nearby and was friendly with a resturaunt on the field (it is mile marker 0 on the Alaska Highway.)

Barb

"0" post mile marker when I drove the summer of '05 then I flew back commercial to get the plane

Attachments

• PICT0132.JPG
    PICT0132.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 17
Back